Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2011, 06:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help with Ressurecing a Pair of Tannoy Sensys DC1

Hello friends,

I am new to this site, have really enjoyed reading it, and am looking forward to continuing my hobby.

I've got a pair if Tannoy Sensys DC1 bookshelf speakers as seen here.

Tannoy - Residential - Summary

I love them for what they are. However, after several moves and a destructo-boy 6 year old, the cabinets have gotten a bit banged up over the years.

My hope is to use the drivers, and possibly the crossover in a pair of custom built towers. I am great in the shop but need to ideas and direction of what type of towers to build. I want them to sound great and look cool.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Old 11th February 2011, 06:35 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Can you provide a link to the actual speaker you are talking about?

And pictures?

dave
Old 11th February 2011, 03:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Images and info

Yes.

Sorry about that. I did realize that parts of the Tannoy website was flash. here they are

DISCONTINUED TANNOY SENSYS DC1 SPEAKERS (PAIR) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/2562 for details
Old 11th February 2011, 03:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Without measuring the drivers, it's a crapshoot. If you want a tower, you could simply build one internally partitioned with the upper part having the same volume as your existing boxes & containing the driver[s] & reflex port. The sealed off lower part could be mass loaded with sand, cat litter or whatever.
Old 11th February 2011, 09:45 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Without measuring the drivers, it's a crapshoot. If you want a tower, you could simply build one internally partitioned with the upper part having the same volume as your existing boxes & containing the driver[s] & reflex port. The sealed off lower part could be mass loaded with sand, cat litter or whatever.

Let's assume that the Tannoy engineers did their homework on original enclosure design, and as Scott says that without measuring the drivers, that you'd be best advised to replicate the volume, porting and any internal bracing / damping that you find. Making a box bigger on the outside and/or morphing dimensions within reasonable limits is probably not too risky an endeavor.

While you may not find anyone willing to suggest revised design for working enclosure volume/ tuning etc without accurate measures, helpful advice on design / aesthetics for new towers will be no problem

Last edited by chrisb; 11th February 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12th February 2011, 01:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your help. It is a shame I can't get the specs of the drivers. I was hoping to improve the performance. I'm still tempted to build a crazy transmission line towers or something fun just for kicks.
Old 12th February 2011, 01:57 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Let's assume that the Tannoy engineers did their homework on original enclosure design
Tannoy (and others) often have a slightly upmarket tower using the same driver, which could be used as the basis for a larger speaker... personally i'd be more comfortable starting from scratch with a measured data set.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!