Anyone built the Decca Corner Horn (TQWP)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built the Trike pipes as published in HFN&RR, then I found the Decca Corner Horns DCH(really pipes with the driver facing into the corner angled slightly uppwards).
The history of the DHC dates back to 1949, the HFN&RR publication is much later in the early 60s. It it built in 9mm plywood (3/8" in Imperial units) and the only improvement is to remove a brace! As is is said to sound better that way. There is no damping material what so ever in the enclosure:smash:

I have some Philps 9710 that are very shouty when facing forward, so upward or backward might work better.:D The smoth front of the enclosure uninterupted by any drivers inites to all kind of decorations...

Having a thin-walled enclosure devoid of damping material and having flexing wall as absorbers of resonans make me feel a bit uneasy.

My initial plan is to build two boxes, one by the book in 10mm OSB and one conventionally built with thicker material more braces and damping material in the first part of the pipe. But if anyone already have tried I would like to know before I start.

I've read the original article and from recollection, the thin wall cabinet was deliberate. I'm not quite sure what it meant to achieve. I think the HFN article was by Ralph West, so a Google might find it. There was also a more modern version (forward-facing) published by Electronics Today in the UK in the 1980s.

I've heard Lowthers in a similar enclosure, designed to face into corners. The sound was quite pleasant if diffuse. Bear in mind that the reason for this arrangement dates back to mono, when the designers wanted to achieve a nice spread of sound from one speaker enclosure.

PS David Weems has more about them here

http://tqwp.narod.ru/Theory/Weems/Weems-en1.htm

Last edited:
OK here goes with the pictures
DeccaHorn1.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi,

FWIW my first speaker was a Decca corner "horn" used against a wall, along
with a tripletone mono ampliifier, and a ceramic equipped BSR turntable.

As I recall the back section was made of ~ 3/8" plywood, but the veneered
sections, the front, top and sides where made of ~ 3/16" plywood, no damping.
Cannot recall the internal partition, but I would say ~ 1/4" is the most likely.
All joints as I recall used ~ 1/2"x1/2" battening, except the back top faceting.

The 8" unit eventually expired, and putting in an 8" fane dual cone did not
work at all, it turned into a boom box, damping did not help at all. I'd say
it needs a fairly low Q but fairly high Fs 8" driver.

rgds, sreten.

Only an American would think a pair of them are not imposing ......

Last edited:
Here are the scans as attachments I did not find the attachment icon in (you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list.) but I hope this will work

Attachments

• DeccaHorn-1.JPG
    DeccaHorn-1.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 648
  • DeccaHorn-2.JPG
    DeccaHorn-2.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 612
  • DeccaHorn-3.JPG
    DeccaHorn-3.JPG
    404.8 KB · Views: 580

Hi,

The scans are unreadable.
Use the paperclip icon to add attachments :

Attachment Key

Filetype.Max Filesize.Max Width.Max Height
bmp......195.3 KB.....6200......2800
doc......195.3 KB......-.........-..
gif......195.3 KB.....6200......2800
jpe......195.3 KB.....6200......2800
jpeg.....195.3 KB.....6200......2800
jpg......976.6 KB.....6200......2800
pdf......195.3 KB......-.........-..
png......195.3 KB.....6200......2800
psd......195.3 KB......-.........-..
txt......195.3 KB......-.........-..
zip......976.6 KB......-.........-..

rgds, sreten.

Hi,

The scans are unreadable.
Use the paperclip icon to add attachments :

Attachment Key

Filetype.Max Filesize.Max Width.Max Height
bmp......195.3 KB.....6200......2800
doc......195.3 KB......-.........-..
gif......195.3 KB.....6200......2800
jpe......195.3 KB.....6200......2800
jpeg.....195.3 KB.....6200......2800
jpg......976.6 KB.....6200......2800
pdf......195.3 KB......-.........-..
png......195.3 KB.....6200......2800
psd......195.3 KB......-.........-..
txt......195.3 KB......-.........-..
zip......976.6 KB......-.........-..

rgds, sreten.

am I missing something.....they're perfectly readable from here, and a good read as well. Thanks for posting.

Ed

my head hurts

umkay, first look trying to grok and unclear at terminus.

Fig6A.

voight-ey expanding closed section one,
contracting section two to driver with ??? constriction,
back to voight-ey expanding section three,
then big step-expansion down to base where

???

happens.

a "port" sorta half the base open into a shelf-port formed by the two 1" high base rails (and exhausting to floor/wall boundary)? two little mass loads?

trying to wrap my head around what the front driver excites. Say the box bottom is sealed for this imaginary scenario. If the thing is pushed tight to a corner, it's almost an external horn with offset driver. Now, if the backwave radiation is coupled to it, too, well, my head hurts.

really grateful for the scans, btw, thanks! (the GA4 hifi amp has rotatable transformers for minimizing hum--sweet ;)

am I missing something.....they're perfectly readable from here, and a good read as well. Thanks for posting.

Ed

No problems reading the scans at this end either.

Hi,

I must be missing something, all I can seem to access is the thumbnails.

rgds, sreten.

Edit : I was missing something, you need to expand them before saving them .....

Last edited:
Hi,

Having had a good look at the drawings, I can say they have been simplified
somewhat compared to the one I had, no doubt for ease of construction.
I recall the internal partition being more complicated, giving an overall
larger taper/expansion rate, this being built mainly in the angled section.
I did lug it around somewhat, no way was it all 3/8" ply (see previous).

Hi-Fi News and Record Review published a reworked version, using
a Richard Allen twincone I recall, perhaps someone can scan that ?
Not sure about the driver, not the CG8T I recall, was a low Qts version.

rgds, sreten.

A minor detail, think the back 1" should be 2 x feet, not a continuous strip.

Last edited:
I have a decca postscript were they state that readers have showed interest in using 12" drivers and that even if HFN thought that the 8" was better they would later publish a 12" version.
The end of the pipe is a mess were the effective area is affected by the feet sinking into the carpet if any...

I would rather use a solid floor in the cabinet, a corner reflector towards the front and the vent opening at the lower end of the 10" by 26" piece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.