Tannoy Monitor Red Crossover questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all sort of a newbie here, just wondering if anyone has had some experience in upgrading the capacitors in the crossovers for these older units. What are the Dayton capacitors like as a replacement or would a higher grade of cap be more
beneficial sound wise? Also the crossover boxes are sealed, which makes it pain to get them open, I have the crossover circuit so no worries there and one of my crossovers is crook, have confirmed by swapping over and the brighter harsher goes with the crossover.
Any ideas/advice would be much appreciated. :)

Cheers
Glen

Hi Glenz75
I am the proud owner of some Monitor Red 15's in G.R.F. rectangles, and, have redone the crossovers in them.
Leave the orig's in their boxes, they are welded and you'd destroy them trying to open them. (also originality sake)
Dayton caps are made by Bennic and are fine for use in a 30 plus year old loudspeaker. The coils would still be fine, but inaccessible, so... considering
you've got the xover diagram just buy all new components.
If you're handy, replace the wiring to the driver itself, its aluminum and thin.
Once you're done, run some sweep tests to finalize any blips.
Mine run flat except for a hiccup at 3000 which I've flattened out separately.
ENJOY!! There are VERY few loudspeakers that can give the impression of the artist being IN THE box singing out a hole!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.