Expensive Full Range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Voxative

Hello,
yesterday i was at the HiFi days in Hamburg Holyday Inn Hotel,
and spoke with he or she Ines Adler and she told me voxative will get out of DIY,
they won´t be tested in other construction as their own.
i heard the Ampeggio with AC3x and was not really impressed for the money they want for it. Not so much highs as a Lowther, bass depents to the horn , in comparison to my double
horns less bass and less transparens, less soundstage deepness by too wide baffle an placing the driver in the middle.

The same like AER ( years ago Keller and Adler develop the driver together) much to expensive for the sound, thats why they won´t be tested be independent people like me,
my experience with 8" is documented on my HP.

Read the measurements carefully also AER you will see it is not comparable, but look nice.

IMHO there are so many cheaper driver outside where you can get with the right enclosure
a very good sound solution.

Anyone familiar with the Voxative AC-3B full-range speaker? I saw a recent catalogue listing them at over $13,000.00 a pair. What makes them so special I wonder?
Hi,
I agree VoxAtiv and AER are small value for the asking price, also they have not huge cone size, what mean small bass in OB.

With no listening test, just reading the data-sheet I could prefer some cheap Nirvana or the impressive Rullit 15 inches, wood cone, lamb skin suspension and huge Field Coil motor, a winner:
Rullit RF-C805

Attachments

• aer1lp magazinkl.Da.jpg
    aer1lp magazinkl.Da.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Hi guys,

Horst, danke schoen! Deutsch ist keine probleme fuer mich. Sehr interessant! I will definitely study that. They only hurt when I'm really close (less than 1m). I wonder what they measure at the listening position.

Serenechaos, many thanks! It would be fantastic to do polars of the Azura 160's. I have already decided, though, that they need an "extension" (continuing the flare back to a 2" neck) for a compression driver. The AER's will live in a Replikon-style backhorn for non-orchestral.

rjbIII
sure, if you want to go to the effort of doing polars, go for it!
i've yet to be convinced of the usefulness, unless marketing something;
i'm still more interested in knowing what i have @ my listening position, in my room, and working with that, instead of optimising for outside, on a pole in the middle of the air, etc.
agreed, especially after hearing the 160Hz lecleac'h eleven horns w/ a compression driver.
so much more detail and dynamics than lowthers, aers, or the tannoys on same profile.
i guess i should make a mold of the eleven horn throat to 10" id or so, before cutting them to fit the "under construction" drivers...

***************Can't say I'm surprised re the compression units -I'd be worried if they weren't ahead. ;) Actually, the AER plot, ~2KHz spike aside, doesn't look too bad for a driver of this type at what I presume is ~15 - 20 degrees off axis.***************

LOL; yeah, that's no suprise...
listening to JBL 2435HPL at the moment,
they don't go low enough, and i don't really like their upper end, but they'll fine until the field coil drivers get made...
no, i don't expect them to be "warm" as the Tannoy red 10s,
but i'm really not impressed w/ beryllium domes, or especially neodymium magnets...
the 160 horns really need the 650s above them...
and i've gone way OT, not "fullrange" (w/ one driver)...

Where did my post go? :scratch1: Ghost in the machine. Oh well. Anyway, what I said (albeit with a severe additional caveat re the AER on the dip ~4 - 8KHz. Res. on that image is so low I didn't notice it 1st time round.)

OK, not full range in terms of 1-way, but interesting. What was the issue re the neo. magnets BTW (I'm not overly enamoured of them myself as a rule, although to each their own).

Last edited:
Hi Serenechaos,

I was thinking of polars mainly to see what the rise is like of the AER above the horn's bandwidth. I guess an on-axis measurement would be the first step (der).

Please build me two of whatever you're making :) Only problem with "extending" the Azura to take a 2" throat is that it will be too darn long (!) We'll have to poke holes in the drywall.

Sorry for the OT!

think I'll listen "Fullrange Speakers" some time.. (one my friend have this.)
listening to JBL 2435HPL at the moment..
[currenly and in future :)] I'm not FR guy.
month ago when my dcx died I used old fostex 207 (w/o "e") some days.. I definetly don't like it in comparison with my current radian950+15". tough I do remember a good impression on 207 in comparison with conventional 2-3 way systems.. :)

.. We'll have to poke holes in the drywall..
I have allready..

Last edited:
...severe additional caveat re the AER on the dip ~4 - 8KHz...
one thing i (couldn't help but) notice though, was the AERs didn't sound as "spikey," or "shouty" as the Lowthers in the highs (in a couple 160Hz LC FLHs). ymmv, etc.

What was the issue re the neo. magnets BTW (I'm not overly enamoured of them myself as a rule, although to each their own).
hmm, my opinion, etc,
they just "sound" different to me (harsher, more aggressive, "nastier"); no hard numbers for anything to back it up with though.
a few theories, dave or Jeffrey will probably release them when the fc drivers get in production.
that was part of the "lowther experiment" MyEmia
easy to keep flux constant, change between different magnet types, and listen to changes in sound...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.