Which FR element for surround speaker? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2011, 06:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which FR element for surround speaker?

Hi

It looks like that I'll be needing new surround speakers soon and I'm planning to build them from FR elements. Mostly I'm interested in CSS FR125S because it's nicely available here in Finland.

My question is: Will they work in surround channels? I'm planning to build a sealed box for them but can't find suitable specs and instructions, any help would be greatly appreciated. My front speakers are Epos M16i and center will be M5i but I can't put M5i's to the rear because the lack of space in my apartment.

So something like 5-9 liters sealed box perhaps?
Old 3rd February 2011, 06:44 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

With FR125 7 kitres is as big as i'd go. At the smaller end of your range, you probably want to go aperiodic -- the 4.5 litre aperiodic we have done for FR125 was a very good performer.

dave
Old 3rd February 2011, 06:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my surround speakers are located very close (less than 1 cm) to the wall so if the enclosure has to have a bass reflex port or a resistive port, it has to be on the front side.
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:31 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I just designed a sealed Alpair6M surround for Chris, my biz partner. He needed small, and placement options are very restricted. The natural roll-off of a "larger" sealed box, should, in theory, match well with the gain from wall/ceiling placement.

Baffle has been oriented to cross the on-axis, just behind the 2 main listening/watching seats.

Note: visualization is oriented with the baffle facing up, when mounted baffle will fire slightly downward and across the room. Cut angles are 45 & 15 degrees. with 12mm BB, about 16x16x24 cm extents

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif A6-surround-3d.gif (37.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:36 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I just designed a sealed Alpair6M surround for Chris, my biz partner. He needed small, and placement options are very restricted. The natural roll-off of a "larger" sealed box, should, in theory, match well with the gain from wall/ceiling placement.

Baffle has been oriented to cross the on-axis, just behind the 2 main listening/watching seats.

Note: visualization is oriented with the baffle facing up, when mounted baffle will fire slightly downward and across the room. Cut angles are 45 & 15 degrees. with 12mm BB, about 16x16x24 cm extents

dave

I may have to eat my words, but it could well be that with the right size sliding table saw the above box is easier to build that it was for Dave to draw

Hide this!Advertise here!