Which Mark audio Alpair ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2011, 01:33 PM   #1
Ewald is offline Ewald  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Which Mark audio Alpair ?

Hi Guys,

Im (also) looking into a micro monitor speaker. The alpairs look very interesting, but there are many available (also the discontinued ones are easy to get).

I am thinking of a 1-3 liter volume, preferably no filter, I like detail and natural sound in jazz and vocals. It doesnt have to be loud and bass is not that important. I have a Tube pre-amp and plan to use a class D power amplifier.

In my research I came across:
alpair 5 - but needs filtering for high end ?
Alpair 6 - "only" goes to 24KHz
Alpair 6P - paper cone sounds better ?
Alpair 7 - 30KHz but needs filtering to even out the frequecy respons ?
Alpair 10 - very nice (flat) frequency response, can handle more volume but could be missing the high ?

So which want would suit best ?

Or since I do like the ribbon sound, does it mean I should skip the wide band and look into a two way design with the scanspeak 10F/4424G with a ribbon ?

Thanks
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:29 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewald View Post
Hi Guys,

Im (also) looking into a micro monitor speaker. The alpairs look very interesting, but there are many available (also the discontinued ones are easy to get).

I am thinking of a 1-3 liter volume, preferably no filter, I like detail and natural sound in jazz and vocals. It doesnt have to be loud and bass is not that important. I have a Tube pre-amp and plan to use a class D power amplifier.

In my research I came across:
alpair 5 - but needs filtering for high end ?
Alpair 6 - "only" goes to 24KHz
Alpair 6P - paper cone sounds better ?
Alpair 7 - 30KHz but needs filtering to even out the frequecy respons ?
Alpair 10 - very nice (flat) frequency response, can handle more volume but could be missing the high ?

So which want would suit best ?

Or since I do like the ribbon sound, does it mean I should skip the wide band and look into a two way design with the scanspeak 10F/4424G with a ribbon ?

Thanks

Well I think the last option (2-way) would make for something larger than 1-3liter micro-monitor.

Based on the Mark Audio drivers I've heard, I'd suggest the Alpair6 paper. The larger models in the line certainly sound excellent, but even if they model well in the volumes in mind, it can be rather tricky to actually fit them in the tiny boxes.

While designed for the metal cone version ( Dave could advise required revisions for the "P") this little box could be a decent starting point.

even in a box this small, the bracing should be considered important

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-231009.pdf

I'm curious why two of your notes specifically reference the upper extension of the drivers (particularly the "only to 24kHz"), just exactly how much do you expect to benefit from performance that high?
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:41 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The mMar-Ken6, with slight modification, works with the A6p. It is nominally 4.5 litre.

For an enclosure as small as you are targeting A6P or A6M would be my suggestion. A6M will fit in a smaller box. I have a 2.5 litre design that works with either driver, and a 1.5 litre for the A6M. If little or no bass is OK, 1-2 litre sealed would work with A6M

dave
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

>>> ...should skip the wide band and look into a two way design...

Yucky.

>>> I like detail and natural sound in jazz and vocals.

Full range drivers do this really well. Doesn't mean a two way can't but just thinking of how much work a crossover can be to get the sound right with a scan speak driver just puts me off. I would be forever tweaking!

>>> So which want would suit best ?

I haven't yet but see no reason not to grab one of those MA drivers and enjoy your music already. They have an excellent reputation.
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default jumping to conclusions?

I forgot to mention in my earlier reply that "mini monitor" always suggests to me either near field / desk-top, or 100sq ft bedroom type of system. This is an area in which I've always found small FR drivers/enclosures to perform particularly well.

for example, these silly good little ( 2 liter) speakers sound way bigger than they have any right to, but the drivers (Fostex FF85K) have been discontinued, and to be honest some might prefer filtering on them

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th February 2011, 12:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Well I think the last option (2-way) would make for something larger than 1-3liter micro-monitor. ...
[snip]
I'm curious why two of your notes specifically reference the upper extension of the drivers (particularly the "only to 24kHz"), just exactly how much do you expect to benefit from performance that high?
I think he was making a little joke with the "only goes to" comment on a full range speaker. On the other hand, he did mention ribbons ... ;-)
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 4th February 2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 4th February 2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Ewald is offline Ewald  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies,

I know that the ear can hear up to 24 KHz, however I have noticed while listening to speakers with designs that go 30KHz and above sound quite different.

Not sure if its the design (ribbon) or the extended frequency range that make them sound different.

With only going to 23KHz means in comparison to the 30KHz of the Alpair 7

Why go for the 6 and not the 7 by the way ?
Old 4th February 2011, 02:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
I did some tests today and with a 20KHz signal (no matter how loud i turned it up) it didn't hear anything at all. At 18.5KHz i started hearing a very weak bright beep. And i'm 16 and have been careful with my ears on concerts and such...
Old 4th February 2011, 05:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewald View Post
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies,

I know that the ear can hear up to 24 KHz, however I have noticed while listening to speakers with designs that go 30KHz and above sound quite different.

Not sure if its the design (ribbon) or the extended frequency range that make them sound different.

With only going to 23KHz means in comparison to the 30KHz of the Alpair 7

Why go for the 6 and not the 7 by the way ?
the questions of hearing physiology / psycho-acoustics /"perception" aside, to answer the last question - driver dimensions and your original query re micro/mini size enclosures would be the primary reason for considering the 6 over the 7.

I'm listening to a pair of 12's at the moment, but for my money the paper cone EL70 (or presumably it's fraternal twin CHP70 which I've not heard) and the Alpair 7 are my favorite MA drivers yet. The 7s are wonderful in Scott's Pensil, or the P-10 Mar-Ken, but I think you'd be hard pressed to fit them and venting as required in a 3 liter box ( at the upper end of your described range) and still realize it's full LF potential.
Old 4th February 2011, 05:37 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

About 5 litre sealed is as small as you want to go with Alpair7.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!