FOSTEX FE208ES-R - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2011, 07:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default FOSTEX FE208ES-R

Desperately seeking a pair (preferably new or mint cond.). Yes, you can take me to the cleaners on this one..
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi pengesluk, out of curiosity:

1. If you're willing to pay a lot for an exotic 8" fullranger, why not just get AER's?

2. What's your enclosure?
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

!. Up to my knees in AER already
2. None. OB.
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The -R version has a Qt=0.16. It's not really suited for OB but for a BLH.

The SEAS X1 is much better suited for OB. So be a patriot, and try those.
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I would imagine the plan is to run them down to their mass-corner (-3dB should be ~475Hz judging by the claimed Fo & Qo) & cross to dedicated LF drivers.
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Scott, you're spot on as always. Good to see someone thinking outside the box for a change. And why is it that people always try and talk you out of a fixed thing WHY??
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Because the FE208ES-R is very hard to find!
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengesluk View Post
Scott, you're spot on as always. Good to see someone thinking outside the box for a change. And why is it that people always try and talk you out of a fixed thing WHY??
Probably because it's seems the primary improvement of the -R version is improved bass performance. Appearantly there's very little difference from midrange and up over the standard version.

Also, according to some people at Audio Asylum, the x-1 is a better performer (of course it's also about 50% more expensive that the current asking price for the 208ES-R).
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Saturnus, I just happen to have all the different Fostex 8" "fullrange" drivers of any interest, including a pair of FE208ES-R and I know for a fact that there is no other Fostex with a midrange like this driver. I need another pair for two reasons, I would like to try and make them sing even more beautiful in an all OB system, and I fancy the idea of a back-up pair in case something should go wrong with the pair already giving stellar performance in a maxed-out BLH system. They are THAT good, and I hate the thought of not having this sound around. There you have it. As for SEAS, yeah, right...
Old 21st May 2011, 12:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thetubeguy1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengesluk View Post
Saturnus, I just happen to have all the different Fostex 8" "fullrange" drivers of any interest, including a pair of FE208ES-R and I know for a fact that there is no other Fostex with a midrange like this driver. I need another pair for two reasons, I would like to try and make them sing even more beautiful in an all OB system, and I fancy the idea of a back-up pair in case something should go wrong with the pair already giving stellar performance in a maxed-out BLH system. They are THAT good, and I hate the thought of not having this sound around. There you have it. As for SEAS, yeah, right...
pengesluk I agree with you 100%! I also own the FE208ES-R drivers. I use my in Sachiko cabinets from approx 80Hz to 10Khz. I then have a pair of 16 ohm, alnico magnet, Pioneer HW-7 horns coming in at 8Khz and covering up to 25Khz. Below that I have a pair of Hawthorne Audio "augies" 15" drivers on OB, powered by a a pro solid-state amp covering from 100Hz and below, down to 28Hz. I can honestly say there's no other speaker I'd rather have. Like you I'm looking for another pair of FE208ES-R drivers in case one of these ever gets damaged!

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Hide this!Advertise here!