Need help with a notch filter. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2011, 11:31 PM   #1
AEIOU is offline AEIOU  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Send a message via AIM to AEIOU Send a message via MSN to AEIOU Send a message via Yahoo to AEIOU
Default Need help with a notch filter.

Iíve been playing around with some inexpensive 8Ē full range ceiling speakers. You know the type, stamped frame, small magnet, paper cone, cloth surround and a whizzer. They are primarily midrange, being a bit weak in the bass and somewhat thin in the higher frequencies. I wonít be using a transformer.
They do sound OK for public address and elevator music, but Iíd like to contour the frequency response a bit to make them more acceptable for FM and stereo. I was thinking of attenuating the midrange by about 3dB from 200Hz/300Hz to 2KHz/3KHz depending on available component values, size and cost. The speakers are 8 ohms nominal, but I measured the resistance and it is 6.5 ohms DC, so I imagine that the impedance around 200Hz would be 6.5 - 7 ohms and then rising gradually from there.
Iím not sure what you call the filter, but Iím pretty sure it would be low Q and Iím not sure if you use the Geometric center frequency or the Arithmetic mean when designing such a filter. Anyone know what type of filter I should use, whether it should be series or parallel etc? What it is called and if there are any online calculators out there so I can massage the values.
Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!