TA2020 + Full ranges??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone

I was thinking of pairing a TA2020 ("tripath") to some full ranges, possibly Fostex FE126en. Any thoughts, advice, opinions?

I read on this forum that the general consensus is that the fostex plans are not great, however i also need an enclosure which is not too huge (small apartment).

Help would be appreciated
Thanks

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The tripath amps sound good with high-eff full rangers, like the FE126En. Go for it. They are a great, economical starting point to hifi sound. Dave or planet10 here will surely chip in with cabinet options. You can check his website too which is great.

a tube buffer , tube stage in cd player, or tube preamp will help a bit.
make sure you have battery power for the amp. this makes the bass twice as good. if the sound is too hot listen off axis. for more warmth and tone but alot less treble get a coat of dammar on the cone. my own experience,
mind you. what are you doing for bass support? a woofer crossed over,
a backloaded horn, a sub to augment?

I've used a FE206 BLH with an TA2020 as my home reference system for years. It's completely off-grid battery powered as the batteries are recharged by a small 15W solar panel.

If you use the smaller Fostex's you might need a tube pre-amp to get the sound right. With the larger Fostex's that's neither needed nor wanted.

Great, thanks for all the advice already..
@Saturnus, what type of enclosure are you using? and what room dimensions?

Good idea about the tup pre-amp, i kind of always wanted to build one anyway.. but will only get onto that later, once all is built and broken in.

I am interesting in the back loaded horn designs, the only problem is i dont really have a lot of space, are there any smaller options?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.