High quality mini-monitor needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently using a pair of Orb2s in a desktop computer based system. I am about to upgrade both my computer and my electronics. I would like the coherence of the Orbs but would like speakers with more detail. I would like to keep the cost to below $2500 for both drivers and enclosures. I have looked at the Lowther DX65 but am concerned about the need for equalization to obtain reasonably flat response above 100hz. I will add a sub at some point so bass response is not needed. I feel that eq defeats many of the advantages of a full range driver(I may be wrong about this, so please instruct me). I listen to orchestral and operatic music primarily, so clarity and imaging are paramount. Any suggestions as to drivers and cabinets would be appreciated. Thanks

I am currently using a pair of Orb2s in a desktop computer based system. I am about to upgrade both my computer and my electronics. I would like the coherence of the Orbs but would like speakers with more detail. I would like to keep the cost to below $2500 for both drivers and enclosures. I have looked at the Lowther DX65 but am concerned about the need for equalization to obtain reasonably flat response above 100hz. I will add a sub at some point so bass response is not needed. I feel that eq defeats many of the advantages of a full range driver(I may be wrong about this, so please instruct me). I listen to orchestral and operatic music primarily, so clarity and imaging are paramount. Any suggestions as to drivers and cabinets would be appreciated. Thanks

still intended for a small desktop computer system?

I don't think you can't get much closer near field than that without resorting to head-speakers (of which I'm not a fan, but that's another thread :rolleyes:)

I'd imagine that budget considerations aside, almost any Lowther would not be the best choice.

To what physical dimensions can you go?

If still available, the first 2 that would come to mind would be Fostex FE127 or FF85K, but they might still require a certain degree of EQ for "reasonably flat" FR - far less than any Lowther that I've heard would need for near field use.

I wouldn't discount full range drivers for this application - of the current offerings, some have very smooth (if not "flat") FR and excellent imaging and detail - the ones that come to mind would be Mark Audio CHR70, Alpair 7 or CSS EL70. I've heard all of these work well in boxes in the range of approx 5 to 12 liters, plus of course much larger floorstanding designs that I suspect would not suit the application defined.

Last edited:
Size can be 18h 10w 20d.My favorite minimonitors were my AE-1s but their prices have gone out of sight. I also like the concept of doing away with crossovers. As I stated, I like the coherence of the Orbs, but would like a little more finesse. I may end up with a two way due to the nearfield nature of the usage, but would prefer a single very high quality driver. Thanks for the suggestions John Dozier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.