Pioneer B20 obsolete?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I could be wrong, but I've wondered if many of the drivers we use for DIY projects have/had been used in commercial designs. It seems unlikely that these companies would put a driver into production solely for the DIY community due to relatively small sales expectations. Now that the boom in home theatre and consumer electronics is over, we may see many drivers going out of production.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Woa... I missed that memo. I don't think the home theater boom as hardly gotten going yet.

Well up there on the frozen tundra you've just recently got electricity, right?;)

Seriously though, I recently saw an ad in the Duluth area for cable DISCONNECTORS!!! I do wonder about this DIY market and it's suppliers. The CSS EL70's I recently used are shielded drivers and that makes me wonder if they had an initial commercial use in home theater or computer speakers. Be interesting to know just how many pairs of these raw drivers have been sold to individuals. I would think you would have to expect sales in the thousands to make a production run worth while on a $50 driver. I remain worried that the global economic situation will have an adverse effect on parts availibility in ours and other hobbies.

An opportunity

The B20 has gone, but it would seem to open the door of opportunity for anyone to fill the niche if they were so inclined. Just like the well-liked RS 40-1354, these drivers could be produced if desired. Hats off to guys like Paul Janda for doing just that, and producing cost effective alternatives. I haven't supported Paul yet, but intend to when my new listening space is completed, and finally have room for some real speakers.

Cheers

Terry

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The CSS EL70's I recently used are shielded drivers and that makes me wonder if they had an initial commercial use in home theater or computer speakers.

The extra magnet was added, i believe, to improve the efficiency a bit... shielding is just a side effect.

We may well find that we start seeing more shielded magnets -- restrictions on shipping magnets are increasing.

dave

>>> no reason why someone can't clone it.

GRS 8FR-8 Full-Range 8" Speaker Pioneer Type B20FU20-51FW | Parts-Express.com

Even tho i feel this driver does not emulate the original B20 enough to be considered a direct replacement, it does offer full range fans on a budget something to buy, experiment with and listen to. It sounds 'nice enough' if only thinner than the B20 it 'clones.' I'd stick it on an open baffle and bet with bass support it would sound good. It's in a set of sealed boxes now playing music (paired with piezo tweeters). This combo does everything but bass. I remember fondly the B20 in the same sealed boxes had a richer, fuller sound that i always described as 'mellow' thru the mids and highs... i would not describe the GRS as mellow. But it's not harsh either. Judged on its own merits without comparison to the B20 i believe it will gain many fans. I can see it in a Voigt Pipe as well as a back horn of sorts to bring up the bass.

Zilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.