• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Illegitimate Son of Pensil - Alpair 10.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Although, as it's been pointed out elsewhere that the braces add to the construction time, in the "scheme of things" that time is forgotten when one completes the project, sits back, enjoys the results, but is left with that nagging "what if" feeling.
YMMV, of course!
Best, Don

on the question of bracing, I'll try not to make a bad joke of mixing "stiffer is better" (regardless of size or mass) and "box" in the same post

oops, too late

even if not fit to tightly couple driver's motor assembly to enclosure, strategically placed bracing not only increases overall structural integrity, but distributes the inevitable panel resonances over a broader range of individual frequencies at smaller and more quickly dissipated amplitudes

Mono AJ's driving MarK Audio/Scottmoose Alpair 10.2.

Attachments

• DSC_0037.JPG
    DSC_0037.JPG
    735.5 KB · Views: 318
II have yet to finish the speakers inside or out due to the fact that i am listetning to them. The time has come to do so now that the veneer is here, but i have some questions that i need to ask before setting off into the final pass. When listening to songs that have some very low bass, I get a very muddy boomy sound. Remembering a post from Twin Audio, having pictures of the 10.2 pensil with a brick covering the port, i tried the same thing with a pillow instead. THe muddy bloom was gone. Is the a result of a resonance that is being excited in my box due to less than nominal stuffing. I have yet to put the braces in and will absolutely do so if connected to the issue, otherwise i have personally heard no problems with them as is. To be honest I was very surprised at how much bass the 10.2 had with the pillow blocking the port. Close enough to maybe not need a port, but i believe i was missing a little something that i would lke to retain if possible. what would my expert panel have as advice.

Side note: the AJ's have been described as a little bloomy on the bottom end, but since the pillow seems to resolve the issue, i don't think it is that. PLus, this is beyond bloomy. It alo does not happen all the time. Tends to happen more with Rock based music. Low electric bass notes. Rarely if ever an issue with Jazz

Quick question. I read on one of the Alpair threads of the suggestion that some SS amps may be over-dampened to drive the 10.2's to their full potential. The Aleph J has a dampening factor of 20, which is second only to the F4 and F5. both are said to have a high dampening factor. When looking at the F1-3, this appears to be true. I know the F3 is considered to be very tubey sounding and wondered if the dampening factor has something to do with this. I also know that the AJ can have a bloomy bottom end, and wondered if altering the dampening factor would also worsen this condition .I have read mixed feelings on the subject and would like any comments that you may have.

Here are the not quite finished update pics of my Pensil 10.2's. They will habe black legs and copper feet to match the drivers. I think I may paint the vents black as well. Thanks Scott, Dave, and Mark. I think I will build a Woden design, a Fonken, and then do a combo with some Seas CA22RNX's that I have. Mark, i'm sold on your drivers. I will tell the world. Best of success.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.