Alpair 12 vs Alpair 10.2 and a little Fostex 166

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking at purchasing new drivers, and am wondering if there are any perks that the Alpair 12 has over the Alpair 10.2 other then the Alpair 12 being a bit more efficient? On the surface the Alpair 10.2 drivers have all the advantages, what are other folks impressions? Also, the Mark Audio break in recommendations make them seem like a very fragile driver, are they that much more fragile then a Fostex 166?

My system consists of an F5 amp with a B1 buffer pre-amp, currently pushing Fostex 126 drivers in BIBs. I am currently using my computer as a source, but will have a DAC in the near future. My living room is approximately 20' by 30' and they will very likely be in a BIB enclosure (I prefer the BIBs to both Harveys and Austin 126s in my room). At the opposite end of the room there is a door-way to the kitchen, but no door, so it opens to another room.

I like the how the FE126 drivers sound, except they do not do very well when turned up loud (shout). I am hoping to have my cake and eat it too and have speakers that I like the sound of like the Fostex, but that can be turned up when the mood hits. I am a big fan of single drivers, and am willing to live with their limitations, I am just trying to find a driver that minimizes those limitations. I like all sorts of music, and am willing to live with single driver limitations regarding rock, though again, I am trying to minimize those limitations.

I have been debating the three drivers mentioned above for weeks now, and all feedback is appreciated.

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=192&products_id=9033

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=192&products_id=8863

No, the MA drivers are not fragile (far from it, they're quite robust as wide-band drivers go), but Mark's recommendations are the best way of getting them to the optimal condition, and a reminder that common sense should be applied. You don't thash the bollocks off a brand-new car do you?

They're very different units, with different priorities, so it's a bit apples & oranges TBH. All are excellent drivers within their design remit, so it will also depend on what you want to be doing with them.

Thanks Scottmoose regarding them not being fragile. That takes one element of worry away.

The biggest challenge in DIY is I can not go to the store and listen before I purchase, so I have to depend on specs from the manufacturer and opinions from this forum. I am not complaining, just saying it is a bit of a challenge. Every purchase is a leap of faith of sorts.

Ed Robinson

Thank you Godzilla, I will look into the 8" Fostex, though I sort of have my mind on the Mark Audio drivers and am trying to figure out which one between the two mentioned.

Your Zillaspeak site has helped me a lot with my BIBs, especially the so easy to use pictures and BIB calculator.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.