Best way to highest efficiency? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2011, 01:30 PM   #21
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

An affordable solution would be Schmackshorn + Faital 5" 200-2000Hz + some compression tweeter.
Old 25th January 2011, 01:31 PM   #22
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Some excellent and provocative ideas here, thanks!

Quote:
in your case you donīt need 105 dB,
i think even 100 dB would be extrem loud.
in your case a Schalmei sathorn with one aktive sub with sat crossover
for your tube would be enough in your small room
and
Quote:
horns would be nice, if only for the mids and up in a 2 way with a large woofer....2 18" pro subs on Hframe or something like that is what id try myeslf, with a decent large mid horn. but thats for ultimate efficiency.
HM, wish I could read german! Maybe, as you say, I don't need extreme efficiency. Interestingly, I had thought about something similar to what you and moondog suggest. I had been wondering about a tubed amp for everything from 100-200Hz or so and up, and a solid state amp for the bottom end? Then integrate a large woofer/sub into whatever cabinet I come up with and drive that with a kind of bi-amped setup? E.g. OB with a sub? Would that end up giving me more options at potentially lower cost? Hmmm. I've been wanting to play with some tripath chips I have b/c of their apparent efficiency.

Anyway, I'm someone who doesn't need earth shaking and extremely low bass (this isn't a HT setup). Tight, well defined and controlled, yes. I built a pair of BD Pipes using 4.5" cheap drivers, and I only miss some bass response.

Quote:
your amp need a poti where you can put 0,0001 Watt.
Sorry but I don't understand. What is a "poti?" The .0001 watt capability would make my life MUCH easier as I wouldn't need to work out potentially tricky topologies.

Godzilla, a BIB with the BOFU is certainly a possibility but can you give me an idea of the efficiency? The driver is something like 90dB free air (I think).

Quote:
Jensen Imperials? Big, big, speakers, little tiny amp?

DECWARE Imperial Folded Horn
I've read about these. Is the scantilly clad woman smoking a cigarette an integral part of the performance? If so, not sure about the WAF. Besides, wouldn't fit in my 13x15 room. Though if I went mono...

Finally, anyone care to estimate a range of potential efficiency with 8-10" vs 12-15" drivers? Just ballpark.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 25th January 2011, 01:42 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

>>> Godzilla, a BIB with the BOFU is certainly a possibility but can you give me an idea of the efficiency? The driver is something like 90dB free air (I think).

You would get about 90db per watt but it will go very low into the bass. If you built a BIB using the 12lta you would be at around 97db per watt.

As far as 8" drivers the BOFU (B20) is about as efficient as i've heard. But it's no longer available (at Parts Express anyway) and has been replaced with an even less expensive 8" driver by GRS. My subjective opinion of the GRS is that it's 'as efficient' but thinner sounding than the BOFU.
Old 25th January 2011, 02:38 PM   #24
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
i think your room maybe slightly small for something that big. i have a similar room, and i dont think i could tolerate anything bigger than a 8-10" speaker before the speakers were so close together i was practically listening in mono.....
??? Horns you can cram in the corners without penalty unlike simple cone/dome speakers and if built to maximize corner space, then a much bigger cab can be had before it impedes on the room/seating position too much same as a corner china cabinet.

Speaking of cabinets, it's a good way to hide a bass horn: High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

GM
Old 25th January 2011, 02:48 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm View Post
your room is to small,

your listening distance to low,

in your case you donīt need 105 dB,
Greets!

Hmm, too small a room, too short a listening distance is when you need to resort to headphones.

105 dB transient peak capability isn't extremely loud unless you are listening to highly compressed music, so assuming he wants to at least occasionally listen to a low/no compressed recording that can have up to 30 dB of dynamic headroom (75 dB average SPL) or louder than he would typically listen to a prime-time TV show (70-75 dB SPL), 105 dB isn't an 'overkill' recommendation.

Guess we will have to 'agree to disagree'.

GM
Old 25th January 2011, 03:23 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlp View Post
Anyway, I'm someone who doesn't need earth shaking and extremely low bass (this isn't a HT setup). Tight, well defined and controlled, yes.

Finally, anyone care to estimate a range of potential efficiency with 8-10" vs 12-15" drivers? Just ballpark.

Though if I went mono...
Understood, short of the Imperial, Klipschorn or similar high acoustic efficiency alignment, you won't get HE below ~80 Hz without a loss of proper transient response (''tightness', etc.), i.e. the average male's lower vocal limit and as you note you can always add a sub system at a later date.

There's probably a chart somewhere, but don't recall seeing one, or if I did I didn't pay any attention to it since it has no real meaning due to being a variable based on the driver's Fs, Qes, Vas specs.

If you mean acoustic radiation impedance that's a function of a driver's volume displacement (Vd), i.e. effective cone area (Sd) times linear excursion (Xmax), then there's a formula, but would have to look it up later.

In small rooms there's lots to said for a mono system, especially if it's corner loaded with the seating position oriented to on-axis. This is a good choice for a 2.1 system with the mono 'sub' in the corner and the mains along the side walls.

These beautifully finished Altec A7-500 theater mains with an electronically EQ'd Karlson is one such system, though in a small room, one of Hm's smaller BLHs or similar might suffice for the mains depending on the driver(s) used and the 'sub' system could be any number of choices from a bass dipole 'infinite' line array to tapped pipe (TP) or horn (TH) to whatever, though a dipole array of low Fs, Qts drivers is technically your best choice short of a huge FLH.

GM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7 with Karlson sub .jpg (13.7 KB, 470 views)
Old 25th January 2011, 03:29 PM   #27
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello,
"don't understand. What is a "poti?" The .0001 watt capability"
your volume control, if you need normal householt level, 90% of the time,
normal speech 60-65 dB how much watt do you need with a 105 dB1m1W
in your case, volume control (Potentiometer) and amp wonīt get it.
I donīt know an amp which work around 0,0001 Watt, may be with a Poti for 10000$ :-)).
Old 25th January 2011, 03:43 PM   #28
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
Will a bipole line array work? Something like Clair Audient 16+16,
audience : loudspeakers

Use something like Aurasound NS3-194-16A as they are super cheap now:
https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8987

Add a horn loaded super tweeter and a powered subwoofer and off you go!
Old 25th January 2011, 04:35 PM   #29
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Will a bipole line array work? Something like Clair Audient 16+16,
audience : loudspeakers

Use something like Aurasound NS3-194-16A as they are super cheap now:
https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8987
The Aurasound you link to is exactly the driver that got me thinking line array was within reach. They are 82dB though, so not sure they'd get me the efficiency I seek even in a line array. The bipole/dipole idea had me intrigued, so I looked at the twitterspeak link in post 12. $0.69/driver made that seem possible too.

The trouble for me, and the reason for this post, is that I have limited experience with speakers - I've only really listened to typical multi-way boxes and single driver/fullrangers. So I hoped to get some insight into the pros and cons of different approaches to very high efficiency speakers. I'm certainly getting that.

Quote:
I donīt know an amp which work around 0,0001 Watt, may be with a Poti for 10000$ :-)).
HM, I thought you were suggesting something that would work around micro-wattage environment. That's not my need, so no worries. As for your designs, I've been taking a look and am intrigued.
Old 25th January 2011, 04:58 PM   #30
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

well, we are still in fullrange forum
but maybe a 2.5way with 2x Beta8(Eminence), or similar, with some kind of tweeter
and maybe a sub

but one thing is certain with a small room, you need well balanced speakers
the more "squeaky" ones usully works better in large rooms

Hide this!Advertise here!