Chambersize in a BLH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The compression chamber acts as its name says . Since air is a 'squeezable' fluid ,the mass of air in the chamber acts like a spring . Its function is to decouple the cone at high frequencies . The membrane is not fully mass loaded as it would be without the chamber , in any kind of labirinth , and under a certain frequency it couples again with the mass of air , making its resonance lower.

Yes you have right GM - its not simple.

I was so naive and believe that it had something to do with the unit specifications to make.
It surprised me that Fostex own recommendation in relation to FE108EZ is a pressure chamber of 1.53 liters, while I've seen on 6moons that Gemme Audio's Concerti 108 were build with a pressure chamber of less than 0.5 liters

GM is correct.

There is a lot off disagreement about an exact formula.
For the FE108Ez , search for : ibR108 horn , on this forum.
In the same part there also is an example of my concerti clone ( 15 sets build at this moment and growing)
Mostly I take the experimental approach ; take the CC larger and adjust by ear.
In the ibR108 ~~ 1.8 L.
In my experience room size is also an indicator!!

To Horst : My ibR108 design sounds like heaven!! but at limited output.
Very good for easy listening in (smaller) rooms of about 25m2.
The younger people are also putting Muse, Linkin Park etc. on.
No complaints about compression.
I do believe that Fostex was a bit conservative with the X-max.

GM

Joined 2003
Mostly I take the experimental approach ; take the CC larger and adjust by ear.

Yes, this is always my recommendation for BLHs since no design routine I've been exposed to or many months of experimentation yielded a 'bulletproof' formula since a theoretical tuning often didn't work as predicted when the horn's out-of-phase output was added to the 'mix', i.e. one's ear 'hears' subtleties from the combining of discrete sources we apparently still don't know how to accurately measure.

GM

Hello,
"To Horst : My ibR108 design sounds like heaven!! but at limited output.
Very good for easy listening in (smaller) rooms of about 25m2.
The younger people are also putting Muse, Linkin Park etc. on.
No complaints about compression.
I do believe that Fostex was a bit conservative with the X-max. "

do you made measurements and show us a simulation of membran movement,
the Data are a normed, in german DIN, there is no optimistic or conservativ measurements.
For householt SPL it is enough.

To GM : we are on the same line; the practical way!!

To HM : no cone movement measurements, only by eye and finger : very little cone movement for the amount of lows (~70Hz)
Compared it with the Fe126e in a Frugal2 with DAAS32 and ATB for the freq. curves.
I also think we ( you and me) agree : low level ; for "household".
btw I do like your double mouth horns , very clever solution if you are willing to use more then one cone.

Chris ,\

I have seen, and tried some of Scott (and Dave) 's designs.
Horst cleverness is in the different pathlenght for both drivers ; compensating each other.

That brings me to my (and GM's?) fear about phase shifts etc.
I'm having trouble already with ONE driver to get it right!!.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.