Disc horn? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Disc horn?

I've been reading about radial horns and it strikes me that if a ~quarter of a circle works like a horn, why no just let the sound expand between two discs to create a very simple completely omnidirectional horn? Two discs with a hole in the center of one of the them, where the driver fires through. If the expansion is too fast with plain discs, it would just be a matter of putting some radial vanes in between.
This contraption could be hung on the wall to use wall loading to expand the mouth, maybe even one of the discs could be replaced by the wall?
Bogus or good idea? Prior art?
Old 17th January 2011, 09:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

1939 world's fair in New York had massive example using speakers below ground using globe above to form horn to radiate 360 degrees, many smaller versions have been done
Old 19th January 2011, 03:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: In an old house on a hill needing repair looking over an old cemertry.
yea there is a spiral horn site. They work very well. Mount them on your walls with a fe103.
Old 19th January 2011, 03:40 AM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Google Cornu.

cornu spiralhorns, wall mounted speakers, high sensitivity ,

Cornu Spiral Copy Horn

6moons audioreviews: Cornu Compact Spiral

seb:diy:audio: Cornu Spiral Copy Horn
Old 19th January 2011, 07:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: In an old house on a hill needing repair looking over an old cemertry.
I saw a funky horn thing today. At the museum They had two sat dishes at each end of the room. Hight on the wall. Instead of the laser they had a Peace of drain pipe about 2inches 6ft long to the floor on both ends. Kids could whisper in the pipe at one end and hear it at the other end of the room or yell for that matter. You couldn't hear it standing anywhere Else in the room. The dishes focused the sound waves to a pin point through the room.

Last edited by fatbattery; 19th January 2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: accidently hit the return key half way through
Old 19th January 2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It's a fun effect!

There is (or used to be) a big pair of dish reflectors at the Exploritorium in San Fransisco. So big you can sit in them. Some Metro tunnel walls do the same thing from platform to platform, the Paris Metro being a good example.
Old 19th January 2011, 09:54 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The parabolic reflector thing is older than the hills, unless you are talking a real completely flat disc, then I'm intrigued.

I know about the spiral horns. What I had in mind was something even simpler and preferably loading both front and back of the driver. No spiral. just two or three discs or squares or star shapes or whatever turns out to be best, spaced close together, so horn loading will take place at the entry point of the sound.
The back loaded disc bass horn would have to be larger in diameter and be the one closest to the wall, and probably also need a disc of wool or felt to damp anything but the bass.
What I'm proposing would radically simplify horn building.
Old 19th January 2011, 10:05 AM   #8
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Bahnsen
Old 19th January 2011, 10:23 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el`Ol View Post
That's just a regular radial horn. What I'm talking about is a disc like a giant CD you hang on the wall with spacers, with the driver mounted pointing either back or front into the hole of the "CD".
And then maybe, for mid and treble loading another smaller disc on top of the first one completely covering the driver.
This would achieve horn loading and good dispersion at all frequencies, as well as being really simple to construct.
Old 19th January 2011, 11:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes parabolic like sat dish they where sat dishes cool. I would love to see a bigger one that you sat in. I am not sure squeak what you mean. If you mean the disk is horizontal well yes It should work fine. There has been tweeter made like that I think. Two disks fanning out from the center. I sure there has been omni speakers that way too. Iam not a horn expert but Iam sure all you need is a compression chamber and a increasing area or if no chamber you have a wave guide. Does your idea have a compression chamber? omni's appeal to me as all audio sources are naturally omnidirectional.

Hide this!Advertise here!