Meridian DSP3200 full range driver identification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Trying to identify what driver Meridian have chosen to use in their new DSP3200 speakers:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Unusually it's a full range unit, stated 85mm, looks suspiciously like a Tangband W3-317SC but if you look closely there are some minor differences on the edge.

211023furudate2.jpg

Anyone got any ideas as to what driver this is?

I'd be surprised if their using an off the shelf driver. If their going to the expense of modifying the mold to emboss their brand they've likely made a few tweaks to the driver as well.

You can view a cross section view of the speaker here:
http://www.meridian-audio.info/public/dsp3200-ds[3460].pdf

But yes if you take the cone of the W3-317SC and the magnet and basket of the W3-881SJ you get a similar looking driver.

Last edited:
Oh yes, i didn't see that but it does say meridian at the sides of the driver faceplate.

I suspect you are very correct that the mods are more than superficial. Perhaps they worked with Tangband to modify the driver to suit. That's if it is indeed based on a Tangband product at all. I don't know anything else that looks quite so similar.

I suppose i should also refer to it as "wide" band and not "full" range. Thanks for that pdf by the way.

I'm tempted to take this speaker as inspiration for a DIY project. I hadn't seriously considered a wide band driver like that for the high end. I reckon in this case the only way Meridian was able to make the most of such a driver is by using the DSP to counteract those elements that would otherwise be unsatisfactory. Though the FR plots are remarkably flat for the Tangband driver.

An interesting speaker for sure.

Certainly should. Pricey when you compare with DSP3100 which is around the same price and includes some built in pre-amp control.

I'm thinking of combining the Jordan JXR6 HD with a 6 to 8 inch bass, DCX2496 crossover w/Jan Didden volume (just as i already have it), a small desktop "computer" speaker.

Meridian these days seem to hitting the stratosphere in their pricing. Interesting design tho.

Re the Jordan, the Visaton AL130 looks a good match & has been used doubled up as a MTM system (published in a Klang & Ton). The driver is available from Farnell in the UK. Or there is now the Jordan 6" bass unit. Active would be a good way to go with either.

http://www.lautsprecher-bausatz.de/hifi/index_en.htm?/hifi/minium_en.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.