Fostex 103e as center speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi - I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on using the 103's in a center speaker?

I've got a couple spare as the dogs keep knocking the zigmahornet's over:)

It's a small room so I'm not after massive volume, there will also be a sub, decent fronts, surrounds and rears - I'm just missing the center. These would seem ideal for mostly vocal stuff, but a search hasn't thrown anything up, maybe I'm missing something?

Using WinISD, I planned to use both in an 8ltr(ish) ported box, or maybe a solo if I can find the time to build it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Joined 2008
Paid Member
My 107e speaks (shielded version of the 103e) came with a plan for a recommended double bass reflex box. It uses three drivers and appears to be aimed at a HT center channel solution. No idea what it sounds like. I would think the plan would be available through Madisound or some other link to the Fostex plans.

linky

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/fostexcabs/107e_revencl.pdf

Last edited:
I'd forgotten the 107e was a shielded 103! (That throws up a few more results). The double reflex looks like the sort of thing I had in mind, I'll give that a go with two drivers, and try a single driver as well in a ported box and we'll see how it goes.

Appreciate your help, cheers.

Hi,
the 3 FE107E horizontal array is a good example of : how NOT to build a speaker...
-5dB valley at 1,6kHz and +5dB peak at 3,2kHz, impossible to correct by a notch filter.
Similar situation with 2 speakers...

I would use a single speaker in a flat box, with 2 round ports left and right for a nice symmetric look :)

Joe

Sounds like a plan! Single driver it is then - no space for two in a vertical. I was planning two horizontally arranged but closely spaced with the ports left and right (for that symmetric look!).

I understand why two and three way are bad news in a horizontal arrangement but with identical drivers, i don't know - is it less focused? Maybe there's no real benefit in having multiple drivers - I need to do more homework on this ;o)

Thanks for your help again!

You know, there's some mention of that fostex enclosure on another forum and it seems it may be designed to act as the center, left & right channels together, that would resolve your wiring concerns jc!

That can't be right though can it? Three channels with a common chamber and two ports?

Nice idea crossblade but I'm pushing my luck with the wife as it is - this center might already be a speaker to far, prey I don't resort to using a pre-out and the tv speaker :eek:(

Hi again...

Using WinISD I came up with a box, 5ltr with two 47dia x 192 ports. Now, the obvious question is.....are those ports too close to the driver? Can I get away with orientating it this way I wonder.

Should I port it to the rear instead? Or maybe re-orientate.....or just build it and see how it sounds!

As always, any thoughts very much appreciated!

F103ECNTR.jpg

Hi again...

Using WinISD I came up with a box, 5ltr with two 47dia x 192 ports. Now, the obvious question is.....are those ports too close to the driver? Can I get away with orientating it this way I wonder.

Should I port it to the rear instead? Or maybe re-orientate.....or just build it and see how it sounds!

As always, any thoughts very much appreciated!

for a more interesting approach to very small box for FE103E, take a look at Tony Gee's Solo

Humble Homemade Hifi

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

lay it on the side with the port slots oriented vertically if you're short on space - for HT center channel, you could probably delete the contour / EQ circuit, and cross over the LF management somewhere around 80-100

Last edited:
I spotted that when I got the drivers but ended up going with the zigmahornets instead. I've got plenty of MDF and two spare drivers so I may well try both and compare.

The Solo is without doubt more sophisticated and I read great things about it (mines just a box with a couple of ports) but I'm aiming for the lowest possible frontal area (and the highest wife acceptance!) so was interested how my design might affect the performance. I'll give them both a go at the weekend if my receiver ever comes back from the repairers!

Thanks again, Josh.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.