Wooden Cone

"To recreate the sound of instruments played in a concert hall, speakers should be designed as though they were actual musical instruments. In particular, the speaker diaphragms ought to be made of wood — the same material used for making violins, cellos, and other instruments. This was the engineering dream that first got the ball rolling at JVC."

Isn't a speaker supposed to reproduce sound as it's recorded not sound like an instrument themselves?

By their reasoning I could use a guitar as a speaker cabinet.

The wood cone speaker in the above picture
is mounted wrong IMO.

The propagation of bending waves is faster along
the fibers, so the cone breakup and some widening
of the dispersion occurs predominantly orthogonal
to the fibers.

Thus the fibers should be oriented vertically to
have increased horizontal dispersion.

Strange thing, that a manufacturer does not
understand his own product ...

"To recreate the sound of instruments played in a concert hall, speakers should be designed as though they were actual musical instruments....

I think not. The sound of the instruments and hall are already on the CD/record. The speaker, and indeed the entire processing chain should be absolutely transparent. And sounds added by the reproducer corrupts the sound of the recording.

Bob

I think not. The sound of the instruments and hall are already on the CD/record. The speaker, and indeed the entire processing chain should be absolutely transparent. And sounds added by the reproducer corrupts the sound of the recording.

Bob

I agree to the goal Bob,

unfortunately "perfect transparency" is difficult to
achieve.

There is cone breakup in every driver - fullrange or
not - and typically the modal overlap of a driver
is even lower than that of a musical instrument
e.g. a violin, when driven in the range of cone
breakup.

There are only 2 ways to perfect or nearly perfect
transparency:

- Assure pistonic motion of membrane(s) over
whole audible frequency range

or

- Make a bending wave loudspeaker with
extremely high modal overlap

Currently available loudspeaker designs are
"non transparent" IMO.

Kind Regards

Bob

I agree the speaker is a musical instrument bit seems far fetched. speakers shouldnt sound at all if possible.Speakers should grow from the earth as inert rocks. I guess rocks are hard to grow and comprimises must be made. I suppose a wooden cone would play a violin peice without drawing attention to its self. But what about brass. Should we pull out brass horns for those

That vinatge rcf was worth a fortune before he started modding it. He is selling all his experiments currently as he raising money for his first small production run of celulose coned feild coils. Who can really know how they sound with out hearing them. But he does have a large group of like minded enthusists in his club.