Martin King OB first time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I spent a fair amount of time getting FF85Ks. I want to build FF85Ks over Alpha 15s in an OB setup like Martin King describes.

My issue is this:

I have little to no ability to do woodworking. The issue is lack of space (live in the middle of NYC). I have a Dremel with the hole maker attachment, but never having built speakers, I don't know if it's sufficient, or if I should just go to a woodworking shop.

Can others advise as to the detail aspect of mounting the FF85Ks and the Alpha 15s for an OB?

The baffle hole diameter for the Alpha 15a is 13.77” (or 349.6mm). I doubt that the Dremel tool's hole maker attachment will allow you to go that large. I use a router with a Jasper rig to cut the circle (probably not be suitable for someone who lives in an appartment!). It shouldn't be a problem cutting the hole for the FF85Ks with the Dremel.

I personally don't have a table saw or space to put one in. So I get the lumber yard (the local Home Depot) to cut up the plywood for me. Its very inexpensive to have them do it and they are very accurate. However my local one doesn't have circle cutting equipment, so you may have to resort to a local woodshop/cabinet maker to do this for you. You could also consider making a larger jig for the Dremel.

Oddest thing, the RotoZip circle cutter attachment only goes up tp 12 inches as well, so I made one that goes up to 28.

I can tell you that you'd like to have more power than the Dremel can throw at an 1/8" sprial bit, although you could actually make the cut if you go real easy on the feed pressure.

Attachments

• 00001.jpg
    00001.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 213
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Find some cabinet makers or furniture makers close by and show them the plans. I met a nice furniture maker who I found in the yellow pages. He did the long rips on my BB ply really cheap and they were very accurate. You could get it done for far less than the investment in tools.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.