Fullrange in 2-way....?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I`ve fallen totaly in love with these Bodor Audio speakers. I would like to try to "copy" these but in a 2-way design. Fullrange on top with 12" driver. Any suggestions on what drivers to use, or comments on if it is possible to get great sound at all...? I will use an active xo.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Presence-Product-Design.jpg
    Presence-Product-Design.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,510
Hi,

TBH some of that design is form not quite following function, but I agree
they look very nice, but some of the details will introduce some problems.
(Basically diffraction related issues - look them up ...)

So you want to ditch the supertweeter option ? no real reason to.
That can be easily passively added to an active 2 way.

For active there are so many options its hard to know where to start.

rgds, sreten.

As mentioned it is the design that appeals to me. A 3" driver would be to small, but 5-6,5" would "fit" the design. I like (souly based on looks mind you) the Fostex Sigma-series and the Tang Band W8 (not the smaller "W"-s). Actually the Tang Band looks a bit like the driver used in the Bodor design or...? Using a supertweeter is possible but the simpler the better for me. I am a "builder" and have little technical knowledge. Keen to learn though. :)

The finished "product" should be able to fill a 50m2 living room with sound with ease...

Hi,

TBH some of that design is form not quite following function, but I agree
they look very nice, but some of the details will introduce some problems.
(Basically diffraction related issues - look them up ...)

So you want to ditch the supertweeter option ? no real reason to.
That can be easily passively added to an active 2 way.

For active there are so many options its hard to know where to start.

rgds, sreten.

I suspect it`s design over SQ here, but I do not expect these to be the ultimate speaker, although I want it to play well. Let me "throw out" a suggestion, and then you and others can tell me why it wount work. ;) :mrgreen:

-Tang Band W8-1772
-Beyma 12" driver (easy to get hold of for me, but I`m not "locked" to this)
-Any supertweeter you would recomend.
-Dont need to play under 40hz.

Where should I xo the TB?

Just can`t give up this design just yet... ;)

If you have a woofer doing the bass why et a very large fullrange (and be subject to the limitations of beaming). A larger driver will beam earlier than a smaller driver.

There are many many combinations of FAST.

a. TB W3 315/871, Fostex 85K, Jordan JXr6, Audience A3, Mark Audio 3" etc...married to a pair of SDX7 or other TLed 7-8" woofer.

b. The Visaton B200 mated to a pair of Eminence Alpha woofers in OB can offer a good VFM OB solution (that looks like the Jamo 909). Again there are any number of 6-8" fullranges that can fit this bill. Most large fullrange drivers hav a ragged HF response. If this bothers your you can always roll of this HF response and add a small tweeter above 10k or so buthen you end up with a rather simple 3 way!

c. You can go exotic with a Lowther, PHY, Feastex, Voxactive, Supravox, Veravox, Voice One (Glow Audio), SEAS (Exotic), Moth, Hemp, etc...

Probably good advise navin, but this doesn't comply with my goal to copy the Bodor design. Anything smaller than 6,5" full range driver and 12" woofer would not look right. If it is not possible to get this design to sound good (even with supertweeter) I will build something far more conventional without full range driver at all. It's not importent to me to find a(ny) full range project that will work. I am interested in knowing if THIS full range project will work. ;)

Yes, I know I'm being difficult. ;)

Probably good advise navin, but this doesn't comply with my goal to copy the Bodor design. Anything smaller than 6,5" full range driver and 12" woofer would not look right. If it is not possible to get this design to sound good (even with supertweeter) I will build something far more conventional without full range driver at all. It's not importent to me to find a(ny) full range project that will work. I am interested in knowing if THIS full range project will work. ;)

Yes, I know I'm being difficult. ;)

Fair enough. We all have our favourite designs.

You can still build something that resembles the Bodor or the B&W 800/802.
Experience the B&W 802 Diamond - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers

I would suggest 2 10" woofers from Seas L26RFXP, W26FX01 or ScanSpeak 25W8565 in a sealed box - this would give you say 45Hz in about 80 liters and give you adequate SPL. Using 2 10" woofers instead of a single 12" will allow you to go push-push.

Mate this to a wide range from Fostex (Sigma series), Beyma 6G40Nd, 18Sound 6ND430, B&C 6NDL38, or even the TB driver you suggested (or the W6-1916) and add a tweeter like the Fostex FT48/28, Seas 27TFFNC, Vifa XT series or D26NC etc... on top.

John "Zaph" Krutke has tested the 18Sound 6ND430, as VFM options a pair of Seas L26RXFP woofers and 27TFFNC tweeter could be used with this mid. Does this suit your requirement better?

Last edited:
Well...... not really. I`m building mr.Tangen`s (fellow norwegian) InConcert Miles for my homecinema. (Beyma TPL-150H + 2x Beyma 15P80Nd) We are building a modern-looking house (funkis-house if you are familiar with the term) and in our living room we "need" something that really stands out without being to dominant, but still pack a punch. The Bodor has a 12", but doesn`t really stand to tall, and I absolutely love the design. So, for me I have to go with that design, or find something completely different. My final choice CAN be taller than the Bodor, but then the baffle has to be smaller=completely different design. And if the Bodor is out of the question, I don`t need to use a full range in my design.

Don`t get me wrong. I really appriciate the effort navin. :) I know I have a backwards way to go about this. I find a design I would like to have in my modern living-room, then try to find the drivers to build it. :rolleyes:

BTW. I LOVE Shinobiwans speakers. Thats art. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.