Pipe open at one end

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm working at the idea of a speaker that uses a low compliance, high Qts driver ( fs 100Hz Qts 1) in a constant area column, of around 1m high, say 400mm wide 200mm depth, open at the bottom (the whole 400X200 mm surface), against the floor.
Would this produce a reinforcement at say 70/80Hz, and Does it make a difference (the position along the line) of driver's center, to the closed end? Asuming adecuate stuffing , of course.
I still do not own the MJK soft yet, so I'm not able to simulate the behaviour of this, so only a gross guessing..
Thanks
J

Hi, I'm working at the idea of a speaker that uses a low compliance, high Qts driver ( fs 100Hz Qts 1) in a constant area column, of around 1m high, say 400mm wide 200mm depth, open at the bottom (the whole 400X200 mm surface), against the floor.
Would this produce a reinforcement at say 70/80Hz, and Does it make a difference (the position along the line) of driver's center, to the closed end? Asuming adecuate stuffing , of course.
I still do not own the MJK soft yet, so I'm not able to simulate the behaviour of this, so only a gross guessing..
Thanks
J
:snowman2: Hello,
Sounds like a transmission line to me!
The length of the tube plus the stuffing determines the phase at the far end of the tube.
The stuffing working with the Qts of the driver determines the damping of the speaker (goal 0.71 total Q)
Have at it!
This is the stuff that keeps people up at night.
Saturday the stuffing goes in the turkey.
DT
All just for fun!

:snowman2: Hello,
When I said “have at it” my reference was to do a little trial and error. Your enclosure is likely a little long an thin (having TL properties) it will also have internal resonance, sound bouncing around like you singing in the shower or one note bass that is where the stuffing comes in.
To get your creation to reinforce around 70 to 80 Hz here is my trial and error recommendation; close off the open end with plywood and drill 50 mm holes in it until it sounds good to you! When you have drilled too many holes backup one.
Steak does sound good!
DT
All just for fun!

Hi, I'm working at the idea of a speaker that uses a low compliance, high Qts driver ( fs 100Hz Qts 1) in a constant area column, of around 1m high, say 400mm wide 200mm depth, open at the bottom (the whole 400X200 mm surface), against the floor...Would this produce a reinforcement at say 70/80Hz,.. so only a gross guessing..

FYI,All just for fun!

b:)

Attachments

• Mosquito.JPG
    Mosquito.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 235
This is a rough sketch of the speaker we are talking about
Following the MJK tables, and the simulation results from bjorno I drawed a line a bit longer.
1.25m minus the boundary end correction is 1.15m
Driver SD is 530cm2, fs 100, Qts 1
The suggested offset is 0.349. but I'm Not sure if it means 1.15 X 0.349 as in my drawing..
Any suggestion is welcome
Cheers
J

Attachments

• Shortline.gif
    Shortline.gif
    36.3 KB · Views: 87
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.