Which helper woofer in open baffle would you pick? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2010, 09:27 PM   #11
Gyuri is offline Gyuri  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I'm to trust in Papa's wisdom.
I bought it because of this two Beta15A loudspeaker.
I do not know when will be I dealing with this will be my time and my energy.
I do not know it, how I join these to my system.
I am watching all experiments like this with enquiring because of this.

Gyuri
Old 18th December 2010, 12:29 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

My mistake. I thought the OP said Alpha-15. Big difference.
Old 18th December 2010, 04:05 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

One other possibility I'm mulling over - I have the original drivers, they just all need to be reconed and/or refoamed. I could just reuse the original Super 12s. That presents its own set of problems (although eventually I planned to eventually repair all the drivers and listen to the speakers in near original condition as an exercise in nostalgia and economy stimulation). The major issue would be very limited volume as the original speakers were only rated for 15 watts (and thats the whole speaker system, not just the 12s). They're also 16 ohms (IIRC), so my plan of an active crossover with a beefy solid state amp to the woofers would be kind of silly, and a passive crossover would also be problematic.

Anyone have suggestions for refoam kits for the Super 12s?

Any more suggestions for a modern 12 that can work well in open baffle? I'm not planning to drive it with EQ to try for much output below about 70 Hz or so - I'll use some subs if I want LOW bass. I need assistance for the full range from about 70 to 200 Hz. Optimally it would be pretty sensitive, able to take upwards of 100 watts, with a Qts between about 0.7 and 1.2, and not very expensive.
Old 19th December 2010, 01:33 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Mash, agree with you on that. The Alpha 15 sims better than the 12 on ob... probably bc of it's larger diameter and higher qts. I spent a couple hours today listening to Wicked with my wife... the Alpha's in H-frames shine! The Beta 15 does look like a great value. It appears more robust and 'worth it' for a few bucks more. I've not heard them but i do enjoy the Alpha 15 a lot.

There was a 12" Jamo that's no longer available at PE that would have been perfect for you RS... but it's no longer in stock. I was going to recommend it for you. There are a few Goldwoods and GRS with specs 'good enough' for OP but you will require an amp to bring up the volume with the TB. Maybe consider looking for a sub amp that will power them. Added cost but i think the extra amp would allow you to accomplish your goal.
Old 21st December 2010, 07:05 AM   #15
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have 4 X Beta 15As still sitting in boxes because I cannot get them to
simulate as well on open baffle as the Alphas. The Betas roll off more quickly and run out of xmax as well. I would be interested to hear from anyone, including Papa, as to what they did with theirs.

I hope I am not hijacking but I think the earlier rolloff might be relevant to the thread.

At this point I don't know whether I will go ahead with open baffles.\
jamikl
Old 21st December 2010, 03:13 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I bit the bullet and ordered the Alpha 12s. I'll plan to let you know what I think.

Hide this!Advertise here!