My first DIY speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HiVi B3N
8" Concrete mold tubing
3/4" MDF
2" PVC pipe.
Total investment $27.50

Pretty flat all the way down to 100hz. A little spike in the upper mid makes them sound a little shouty, could definitely do with a filter.
They don't image or sound stage very well, but are clean and clear. This is just a quick and dirty test enclosure, not sure where I will go from here.

Attachments

• Image12132010094319.jpg
    Image12132010094319.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 311
Zaph|Audio

not sure of the difference between your B3N and the B3S in Zaph's project

One has a round frame, the other a square. ;)

I've looked at Zaph's before and honestly all the little details he goes into was off putting for my first project.

I played my speakers all day at work today to break them in so when I got home I decided it was time to turn them up a bit.. Yeah.. At higher power they turn into a boomy, muddy mess. Another thing I noticed. The sweet spot is VERY narrow. You have to point both the drives directly at you for it to sound right. Off axis the highs almost disappear.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
You have to point both the drives directly at you for it to sound right.

I consider that as a good thing :rolleyes:

but a small 80db 3" driver is ofcourse not intended for higher SPL

enjoy what its good at and worry less about what it cant do

but your box looks very big, and porting looks big
maybe its tuned lower than it likes to
you could try putting a sock in the port

btw, try to turn the box, so that the driver is either to the left or to the right, maybe it will change some

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.