Help designing a Rear loaded full range horn for KEF sp1014

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi i am starting a new project

the plan is to build two fair sized full range rear loaded horns, using the following drive units,

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

i have previous experiance of designing a tapped horn for a eminence alpha 12 using a nice little program called horn responce.

i plan to crossover the drivers at about 3500hz to a yet to be purchaced tweeter

i am looking to design 2 speakers that go loud and sound great whilst covering40 (or35)hz to 20000hz

what i am looking for is some kinda DIAGRAM or a rear loaded horn and how each part relates to the IMPUT prahimiters in horn responce because im feeling abit stuck atm, maths isnt my strong point

im looking for a relitively simplistic design like one of the above

the wifi in this cafe is about to go down so i have to leave it as it is, any help with this and its feesabilaty would be greatly appreaciated, thanks

Last edited:
A tapered quarter wave tube would suit this driver ?

Attachments

• rougth_TQWT.jpg
    rougth_TQWT.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 165
why would it not be suited, could i not design the horn in such a way that the driver would be?

i thought these drivers would work well even if the compression ratio isnt to high

i took these drivers out of transmition line speakers and i realy had my mind set on making horns for em

any more opinions

Ok so as it may be possible..

i would like to have a play and see what i can come up with

is there anywhere i can get a diagram of a basic rear loaded horn, with each bit marked to correlate to the input fields in horn response, so i can see what input field in the program = what part of the horn design. this would be greatly appreciated for me and anyone else looking to design horns, thanks,

i am expecting they will turn out fairly large this is not an issue was thinking kinda 1.2m high should give a horn path of 1/4wavelength of 40hz

i am expecting they will turn out fairly large this is not an issue was thinking kinda 1.2m high should give a horn path of 1/4wavelength of 40hz

With a mass corner = ~2*25/0.57 = ~88 Hz based on published specs, you're only loading a little over 1/2 octave, so probably better overall to use a double bass reflex (DBR) alignment and save yourself all the extra design/woodworking effort.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.