Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2010, 11:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to weikertball Send a message via MSN to weikertball
Default FE 126E and FE 126EN bipole?

I have a pair of 126e's over here but I can't find any more since they are discontinued. Would the sound be affected too much if I used a 126e and a 126en in each cabinet? They'll be sealed bipoles, btw.
Old 10th December 2010, 03:45 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FE126eN is ~dB more efficient would be the biggest concern.

dave
Old 10th December 2010, 04:36 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weikertball View Post
I have a pair of 126e's over here but I can't find any more since they are discontinued. Would the sound be affected too much if I used a 126e and a 126en in each cabinet? They'll be sealed bipoles, btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
FE126eN is ~dB more efficient would be the biggest concern.

dave

use the less efficient driver on the back of each?

sealed for 126? - presumably some type of bass reinforcement?
Old 10th December 2010, 05:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

There's plans for a small sub in the future. Just gotta take it one thing at a time. Right now I want to concentrate on fullrange side. Anybody object on the dipole idea? I thought about the efficiency of the 126EN but that was the only thing I could think of. All the other specs didn't seem like it would make it too wacky. I was going to go OB but I don't want to use a BSC. I also thought about facing the 126EN forward and having the 126E facing up. I've seen some enclosures go that route and people have praised them. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 10th December 2010, 05:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There's plans for a small sub in the future. Just gotta take it one thing at a time. Right now I want to concentrate on fullrange side. Anybody object on the dipole idea? I thought about the efficiency of the 126EN but that was the only thing I could think of. All the other specs didn't seem like it would make it too wacky. I was going to go OB but I don't want to use a BSC. I also thought about facing the 126EN forward and having the 126E facing up. I've seen some enclosures go that route and people have praised them. Thanks for the feedback guys.

any version of the FE126 really wants some type of horn for maximum unassisted performance, or be run as mid & up with some type of bass driver(s) ( such as numerous OB projects - e.g. the MJK model)

nothing wrong with bipole for the right application, (I'm famously a fan of a certain dual driver design, with one top firing), but if small and/ or sealed is your intention, there are many far better drivers for that (such as the discontinued FE127E), regardless of the physical configuration in the box

however, since you have the FE126, there are compact horn designs that would likely work as well as a bipole and possibly require less room in which to 'breathe' (particularly the front mouth types or inverted BIB)

BTW, to predict correction by the lexicon police - I think you mean bipole - not dipole - they're not the same thing
Old 10th December 2010, 06:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

woops, yes. Bipole. Yeah, I guess I could go with frugel horn route and I like the BiB plans and loved my Pioneer BiB's that had but I have to figure out a way to get them back to my dorm if they are semi-largish enclosures. I just might give the BiB's with the Karlson slot a try
Old 10th December 2010, 06:10 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Whenever anyone saus FE126 bipole i always think Metronome.

dave
Old 10th December 2010, 09:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
woops, yes. Bipole. Yeah, I guess I could go with frugel horn route and I like the BiB plans and loved my Pioneer BiB's that had but I have to figure out a way to get them back to my dorm if they are semi-largish enclosures. I just might give the BiB's with the Karlson slot a try
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Whenever anyone saus FE126 bipole i always think Metronome.

dave

of course if there's room available they'd be a great solution (sometimes it's hard to keep track of who's got what room issues.. )

Hide this!Advertise here!