Driver and enclosure for 4 watt amp, 12x12 room, moderate volume chamber music? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2010, 05:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Driver and enclosure for 4 watt amp, 12x12 room, moderate volume chamber music?

Upper range probably isn't that important, since my hearing isn't good there. But I would love to be able to be able to hear the instruments in chamber music reproduced realistically in the midrange and lower. What would be a good driver/cabinet (or open baffle) combination for someone with basic woodworking skills?
Old 9th December 2010, 07:28 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

One of the more efficient Mark Audio Alpairs would do the job. Enclosures like the Pensils are very simple.

dave
Old 9th December 2010, 08:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

And in the interests of variety, assuming we're talking a SET amp here, of all things a Fostex FE166En in an 11 litre BR tuned to 70Hz could do you. Won't go especially low, but you rarely need to plunge the depths with chamber music.
Old 9th December 2010, 10:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi zenga123

check out the fostex fe126en advised cabinet on the spec sheet.....I think its about optimum(by winisd figs anyway) and it's simple to build...I'm working on a variation at the moment to compare with a MA Alpair10 that I put in a similar cabinet.....

if it is a SET you have and the hum levels are not great then the 166/126 will expose...I mention this because it disappoints some people....

Ed

Last edited by vitalstates; 9th December 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 9th December 2010, 04:45 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalstates View Post
Hi zenga123

check out the fostex fe126en advised cabinet on the spec sheet.....I think its about optimum(by winisd figs anyway) and it's simple to build...I'm working on a variation at the moment to compare with a MA Alpair10 that I put in a similar cabinet.....
if you're talking about the hybrid BR/"BLH" fir the FE126E, optimum would not be the term I'd use to describe it. I built a pair several years ago for previous model of 126, and can think of at least 4 DIY (and one commercial ) BLH designs that vastly outperform it in every respect.

Quote:
if it is a SET you have and the hum levels are not great then the 166/126 will expose...I mention this because it disappoints some people....

Ed
very true that
Old 9th December 2010, 04:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I believe Ed's talking about the bass reflex box tucked away at the bottom of the page rather than the BH/BR hybrid.
Old 9th December 2010, 04:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes it is a SET amp, the Decware Zen SE amp. I think a 94 db driver is recommended.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will do some reading on the drivers this afternoon.
Old 9th December 2010, 05:13 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The Decware is more like 2W and really likes a 2 ohm load.

dave
Old 9th December 2010, 05:44 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
I believe Ed's talking about the bass reflex box tucked away at the bottom of the page rather than the BH/BR hybrid.
oops - but provided space is available, still think there are better options for this driver or the FE166 than the BR boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenga123 View Post
Yes it is a SET amp, the Decware Zen SE amp. I think a 94 db driver is recommended.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will do some reading on the drivers this afternoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The Decware is more like 2W and really likes a 2 ohm load.

dave
I've heard older versions (circa 2003-5) of this little gem, an in stock trim ( i.e. not the "EX" OPT) it's quiet enough for full range drivers like the FE126E in horns or "Horns" or systems with AMT1 tweeters. Due to the interesting method in which the OPT float off ground, it can be bridged in mono for the approx 4W level, albeit with an increase in noise that might not be acceptable in some systems, or for listeners with sensitivity in the upper ranges.

It certainly punches above its weight class and as Dave says doesn't at all mind the lower impedance loads of multiple drivers in parallel.

Even a pair of Mark Audio or Alpairs probably wouldn't belabour it, so a wide range of options would be available - which begs the question - how much floor/shelf space is available. (in other words my first suggestion might be the Castle MicroTower with CHR or EL70)

This is after all not a huge space, and as someone else posted recently - "we often forget how loud 90dB SPL really is"
Old 9th December 2010, 06:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The room is my study, bookshelves can be moved around, so space or what the cabinets look like isn't a problem.

The amp was made 8 years ago but has been stored for a few years. It probably wasn't matched with suitable drivers before, and the living room space was probably too big for it. I really should use it, at the time I collected some very nice tubes for it. This time I want to make speakers just for this amp, and for chamber music in this smaller room.

Hide this!Advertise here!