Driver and enclosure for 4 watt amp, 12x12 room, moderate volume chamber music? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 07:54 PM   #11
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I just talked to someone at the lumber yard, asking about Birch plywood, and he says that as a side business he gets drivers from parts express and builds speakers to sell. He said he'd do the cabinets for me for $50 each, which includes the cost of 3/4" void-free birch. Seems like a good price.

I found the micro-tower plans at Planet10. Are those the same as the Castle? Would the Zen amp run a pair of FE126E or EL70 per box?
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 08:20 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenga123 View Post
I just talked to someone at the lumber yard, asking about Birch plywood, and he says that as a side business he gets drivers from parts express and builds speakers to sell. He said he'd do the cabinets for me for $50 each, which includes the cost of 3/4" void-free birch. Seems like a good price.
dirt cheap, if you can confirm quality of previous work - go for it

Quote:

I found the micro-tower plans at Planet10. Are those the same as the Castle?
"Castle" is the nick-name for the version with second driver top mounted.
(left hand pair below)

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Would the Zen amp run a pair of FE126E or EL70 per box?
The Zen would drive 2 of either per channel just fine, but the microtower is not the best box for 126 - (they really want some type of BLH), but killer with the EL70 and SET or low power EL84 P/P - with your Zen amp, wire them in parallel.
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 10:49 PM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
The Zen would drive 2 of either per channel just fine, but the microtower is not the best box for 126 - (they really want some type of BLH), but killer with the EL70 and SET or low power EL84 P/P - with your Zen amp, wire them in parallel.
Even though the SPL of the EL70 is 86? And wouldn't running two drivers per channel require even more power?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 12:11 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
2 EL70 in parallel will bring the impedance into the range where the Zen is at its best, and the 2nd driver gives 3 dB more efficiency (89 dB). That coupled with what seems that in practise, people are getting away with less power than we'd guess possible. A good case in point was when Don (aka Doorman) went from 92 dB FE167eN to 82 dB CHR-70eN and is perfectly happy with his 3.5 w amp in a room much larger than yours.

A single Frugel-Horn Mk3 with FE126 would give you 92-93 (but at 8 ohms, where Zen foesn't do quite as well), and now that you have someone to build them, the more complex build won't likely be an impediment.

And if you want crazy, a stack of 4 FH Mk3 (per side) with FE126 has been discussed (98-99 dB/w)

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 05:10 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
For a smallish room, and the subjective power of the little Zen amp (both circumstances with which I've had some experience) I'd suggest the Castle microtowers, or even a dual forward facing design such as we heard the EL70's in a little Parts Express box at Bob Reimer's. Maybe Dave has a picture stashed somewhere - a pretty nondescript looking but not sounding box - kinda like the Zen amp.

Any of numerous single or dual rear or front mouthed horn designs with Fostex FE126En or FE166En could certainly fill the room with more volume than it sounds like you'll ever want, but they do have placement / listening distance issues that the others mentioned above wouldn't.
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 09:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I would be interested in seeing the plans for the dual forward facing design for the EL70's. That is how I have my speakers set up for movies in the living room, 2 x 2 forward facing Audio Nirvana 8's in a large BR towers driven by a Parasound amp, and it works nicely for its purpose, though maybe missing a bit of what I would call musicality. (My computer set-up is a bit more eccentric: a 30 watt Parasound Zamp v3 driving 2 10"x18"x22" BR boxes I recently put together with Radio Shack FR drivers I bought 10 years ago for maybe $15. I'm surprised at how non-awful they are, especially considering that the stuffing is just odds and ends of fabric and foam I put into the bass ports now and then.)

I like the plans for the Castle microtowers, though I have to say the single driver wall mounted box has a lot of appeal since I have two cats, and I am sure the first thing they would do is try to make a bed in the top firing driver.

Are there any independent assessments of the EL70's that someone can point me to?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 09:36 PM   #17
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenga123 View Post
I would be interested in seeing the plans for the dual forward facing design for the EL70's. That is how I have my speakers set up for movies in the living room, 2 x 2 forward facing Audio Nirvana 8's in a large BR towers driven by a Parasound amp, and it works nicely for its purpose, though maybe missing a bit of what I would call musicality. (My computer set-up is a bit more eccentric: a 30 watt Parasound Zamp v3 driving 2 10"x18"x22" BR boxes I recently put together with Radio Shack FR drivers I bought 10 years ago for maybe $15. I'm surprised at how non-awful they are, especially considering that the stuffing is just odds and ends of fabric and foam I put into the bass ports now and then.)

I like the plans for the Castle microtowers, though I have to say the single driver wall mounted box has a lot of appeal since I have two cats, and I am sure the first thing they would do is try to make a bed in the top firing driver.

Are there any independent assessments of the EL70's that someone can point me to?

Well to be honest, I think the "design" for Bob's dual driver system was simply a matter of 3/4 or 1 cu ft Parts Express pre-finished box and standard port per whatever software he used. It sounded quite fine.

Dave has a very thorough set of plans for a lot of permutations of all sizes of the Mark Audio drivers available by subscription.

As for independent assessments of the EL70s - probably most of the "reviews" will be by builders at forums such as this, so exhaustive technical measurements by testing labs and/or purplish prose descriptions of finished systems by "accredited reviewers" may be hard to find
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 10:24 PM   #18
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I guess I wasn't clear when using the word independent. My concern isn't "exhaustive technical measurements by testing labs and/or purplish prose descriptions of finished systems" with a "Rolls Eyes (Sarcastic)" at the end, but rather that thing you said before that, the actual builders experience with the drivers, builders who aren't selling the drivers in some way. I have done a few searches on google without luck, I will try further.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 11:57 PM   #19
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brighton UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The Decware is more like 2W and really likes a 2 ohm load.

dave
SE84B Zen Triode from High Fidelity Engineering, budget single-ended amplifier - home listening test

Hi,

Whilst its allegedly stable into 2 ohms it would be the first ever single
ended amplifier I've heard off that "likes" a 2 ohm load. It simply won't.

Output will be current limited and around 0.6W into 2 ohms, 1.2 W into 4
assuming the standing current is set for maximum output into 8 ohms. No
way ever would a single ended valve amp be optimised into 2 ohms, possibly
6 ohm, they nearly all are optimised into 8 ohms, the bridged specification
implies 8 to 9W into an unspecified, load, I'd say this is greater then 8 ohm.

The fundamentals of single ended amplifiers absolutely preclude
what you are saying, none of them like low impedance loads at all.

Here is a good design with all the basics and measurements :
http://asinus.dk/Asinus_Elektroakust...ifier_8wse.pdf

rgds, sreten.
__________________
There is nothing so practical as a really good theory - Ludwig Boltzmann
When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

Last edited by sreten; 10th December 2010 at 11:59 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 01:30 AM   #20
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Thanks sreten, that narrows it down quite a bit. I'll look for something in the 94 db and 8 ohm range.

And thanks for linking that review of the Zen amp, I'd forgotten about it.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loud POP 555mkII moderate volume. digital desire Solid State 2 28th February 2007 12:02 AM
Chamber Music to test speakers. RJ Music 4 27th December 2004 04:08 PM
Room Acoustics & Speakers - woz: Is15 inch overkill for music?????experts ThorstenL Multi-Way 26 28th August 2004 09:12 AM
article about double chamber speaker enclosure PTSOUNDLAB Multi-Way 41 23rd April 2004 02:54 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:07 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2