Budget valve amp speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking at getting a low power valve amp and I am wondering if anyone can recommend any good speakers. The amp would probably be 10-20w and from what I have heard the speakers would need a fairly high sensitivity (90+db). I have been looking at these from Icon audio as they are specifically aimed at valve amps - although I hear they are a reputable company I cant find the spec on their range of MFV speakers!
Icon Audio MFV 5 Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

Does anyone have any experience of these MFV speakers?

Price I could stretch to would be £350

Many thanks

Don't even have efficiency measurements. That's not good.

Try a Fostex FE127e based DIY ...

Granted the DIY forum header presupposes an inclination to building stuff, and no doubt there are many here that could offer suggestions for a very satisfying speaker system that could be assembled for far less than £350, but the FE127E is no longer in production and rather difficult to source.

Higher sensitivity drivers in the Fostex line such as FE126En, FE166En would likely be next on many builder's short list, but keep in mind that they tend to want larger boxes ( generally some variety of BLH), or HP filtering and LF reinforcement.

And yes, 10-20W of tube power is certainly not "low power" to a lot of folks hereabouts.

Whoops! My bad.

Where I suppose I was going was with a well-rounded fullrange or even two-way system. I, for one, have a Dayton DC160 + Fostex FE83e two-way with first order crossovers in transmission lines - powered by a TA2020. That's no more than 20w and gets plenty room-filling. Plenty!

Granted the DIY forum header presupposes an inclination to building stuff, and no doubt there are many here that could offer suggestions for a very satisfying speaker system that could be assembled for far less than £350, but the FE127E is no longer in production and rather difficult to source.

Higher sensitivity drivers in the Fostex line such as FE126En, FE166En would likely be next on many builder's short list, but keep in mind that they tend to want larger boxes ( generally some variety of BLH), or HP filtering and LF reinforcement.

And yes, 10-20W of tube power is certainly not "low power" to a lot of folks hereabouts.

I agree with what Chris has mentioned above. For the budget mentioned I believe that a very nice pair of speakers could be assembled by a diy'er that would surpass anything that's available commercially. I like the various horns on the Fugal Horn site and having heard many of them, it would be the avenue that I would seriously consider.

I think that one of the very best all around speakers that represent a smaller package (WAF consideration) is the "standard" Fonken design. It does just about everything that a speaker should do and is very easy on the ears as well. I might mention that they are also a much simpler design for the average person to assemble.

Best Regards,
TerryO

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am looking at getting a low power valve amp and I am wondering if anyone can recommend any good speakers. The amp would probably be 10-20w and from what I have heard the speakers would need a fairly high sensitivity (90+db).

As said 10-20W is medium power... and depending on your listening needs, as long as you provide a nice impedance load to the amp, you can away with less efficient speakers. Doorman, for instance, is pleased with his CHR-70s @ 82 dB and 3.5W. My 20 watt (triode) amp plays the same speakers in my big room, no problem.

How big a box can you get away with?

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't considered building the speakers but will definately look into the options suggested when I get a chance. I'm ideally looking for a bookshelf size speaker - the smaller the better without compromising too much in performance.

Perhaps look at the millSize box for the new Alpair6p (paper cone). Box about the size of a set of LS3/5A, resonable efficiency (~87 dB spec), and surprising bass.

Do keep in mind that the smaller the box, the less potential for efficiency.

Pretty easy build, and flat-paks are available.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.