Pensil Dampening ?s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys , i'm going to build a set of either pensils or super pensil test boxes for my alpair 12's .

my questions are :

no dampening material on the cabinet walls just the fiberfil ?

and placement of the fiberfil ? all distributed throughout the enclosure even around the back of the driver ? or just between the driver and port ?

has anyone played with spray on or stick on automotive products ? not as a primary dampening but in addition . just kinda thinking out loud here :)

thanx , Woody

hey guys , i'm going to build a set of either pencils or super pencil test boxes for my alpair 12's .

my questions are :
1 - no dampening material on the cabinet walls just the fiberfil ?
2 - and placement of the fiberfil ? all distributed throughout the enclosure even around the back of the driver ? or just between the driver and port ?

has anyone played with spray on or stick on automotive products ? not as a primary dampening but in addition . just kinda thinking out loud here :)
thanx , Woody

Hi Woody,
In my Pencils, I filled the cabs with fiberfill without glue to the walls. I put 2 round battens just above the vent to stop the fill dropping, ran the fill to 100-mm below the driver. Then lined the the inside of cab above the top of the fill with 25-mm acoustic foam, stuck to the inside cab surfaces.

Cheers

Mark.

Thank You Mark , i like that idea .

my drivers now have @ 70 hrs on them , but by the time i get them broken in i'll have a few different enclosures to play with .

looking forward to your new alpair 10's if that ship ever gets here . i've got a few designs i want to try .

cheers Woody

Hi there!

I think that the best idea when building a Pencil12 is the removable back panel. You can tweak and change the amount and quality of damping material as much you like. And if you have some experience with diy-speakers you´ll be more patient than me...

And yes mr Fenlon I´m still using the monster amp. Actually all the problems with sound quality were solved after I got the new amp and cd-player. Maybe I have wooden ears but I´m loving it! Sadly I haven´t had the time to build the monitor cabs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.