Just finished desktop OB Tang Band W5-1611 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2010, 02:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Just finished desktop OB Tang Band W5-1611

Just in case anyone's interested, breaking these in before testing on a simple OB panel at my desktop. Have then crossed to a sub under my desk at 100hz and they sound pretty not bad. Highs are right there and crystal clear. Mids and midbass a bit weak which leads me to believe these are best suited to a ported box or some kind of TL. I'll reserve my final alignment once they've been measured. Very well made driver by the way. Construction is first rate with no noticable flaws. Magnet housing loaded with heat sinks so i imagine these can get pretty loud provided the mfgrs efficiency rating of 90db is accurate.
Old 2nd December 2010, 01:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

How did you decide to go with and design your OB? Pics would be pretty not bad as well.
Old 2nd December 2010, 03:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
Just in case anyone's interested, breaking these in before testing on a simple OB panel at my desktop. Have then crossed to a sub under my desk at 100hz and they sound pretty not bad. Highs are right there and crystal clear. Mids and midbass a bit weak which leads me to believe these are best suited to a ported box or some kind of TL. I'll reserve my final alignment once they've been measured. Very well made driver by the way. Construction is first rate with no noticable flaws. Magnet housing loaded with heat sinks so i imagine these can get pretty loud provided the mfgrs efficiency rating of 90db is accurate.
Nice. Im breakin in mine now in the cardboard boxes they came in. The plan is to put them in 2 metre tall BIBs.

Regards /Bo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0561.JPG (169.7 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0568.jpg (350.7 KB, 313 views)
Old 2nd December 2010, 04:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

>>> The plan is to put them in 2 metre tall BIBs.

I hope it works out. Please post your results! I think this will turn out very well actually!

Zilla
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Just put them into some scrap 3/4" MDF panels with simple bases for now to break em in and get a feel for the tonality. They're already out now and off to be measured. if the results are good, they'll be posted. But they do sound very detailed. My final design will be a ported box of 14-18L tuned to 50hz.....or a mid for a three way possible 1st order if the top end is clean enough.

Hide this!Advertise here!