chr-70 vs. chp-70?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've heard both and prefer the CHP-70, but I'm sure others will prefer the CHR-70. I found the CHP to be more "rounded" and balanced (both in BPA's Needle Deluxe), while the CHR-70 sounded just a little bit "metallic" in my ears. The Alpair 7 and 10 did not sound "metallic" to my ears -- just as a comparison. I'd take the CHP-70 or the Alpairs :)

I've heard both and prefer the CHP-70, but I'm sure others will prefer the CHR-70. I found the CHP to be more "rounded" and balanced (both in BPA's Needle Deluxe), while the CHR-70 sounded just a little bit "metallic" in my ears. The Alpair 7 and 10 did not sound "metallic" to my ears -- just as a comparison. I'd take the CHP-70 or the Alpairs :)

as close as I've yet been able to hear to the official CHP70 would be the CSS labeled EL70, which I personally prefer to the CHR70 in at least 3 or 4 designs to date

the Alpair 7 and 12 (latest gen) are pretty special - certainly not "metallic" (like say the MCM aluminum cones that I can remember from Bottlehead Straight 8's), but to me still lack some of the "warmth" or "character" of the smaller paper cone -

of course I could just be yet again deluding myself

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
as close as I've yet been able to hear to the official CHP70 would be the CSS labeled EL70, which I personally prefer to the CHR70 in at least 3 or 4 designs to date

Being available only in Japan & Germany (Europe) i've not heard CHP. The EL70 is a development of the CHP and is my preference over the CHR (the gen 2 CHR significantly closed the gap thou, and i live with both).

dave

the Alpair 7 and 12 (latest gen) are pretty special - certainly not "metallic" [...], but to me still lack some of the "warmth" or "character" of the smaller paper cone -

Have you heard the Alpair 10? I listend to both 7 and 10, but not 12. I liked the 10 much better (because) of the fuller sound (bottomwise). This was real full range to my ears. In fact I did not lack "warmth", while the sound of the AP10 was pretty transparent. It was not "perfect", but one of the best speakers I heard. Nothing to blame about -- in fact I found the sound was fun to listen too and refined but still not being overly analytical. The CHR-70 was also not analytical but is not in the class of the 10 and sounded (overexaggerated) a tiny bit harsh to me. The CHP is a driver in contrast is one I still consider for a nice budget speaker.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Chris and i have heard Alpair 10, Alpair 7, Alpair 12, and production prototypes of Alpair10.2*. The last 3 are very much of a family and both of us prefered the Gen2 drivers. We feel Mark has made significant advances with the Gen2s.

*(and Alpair6, Alpair5, Jordan J6T, and a set of early Alpair6P prototypes)

dave

Thank you for your reply's... I am in Europe and have access to the CHP's. I have long had a bad experience with metal drivers (tinny, ringy,etc.) and was wondering if the CHP at least lived up to the CHR's qualities. Now that I have some informed info... I think I will be moving ahead with my plan for a cyburg's needle with the CHP's, or... pensil with the CHP's. Any opinions on what might be the enclosure? I am hoping to find a freestanding cab that will give me low end authority and let these paper drivers still whisper in the high end (as it were). Also... any ideas if I might need filter? I would prefer to run them without anything but I am a total noobie (second project)... so if more informed minds know better?

You mention 3 to 4 designs you've heard the CHP70's in that you liked... may I ask what those designs were? If there are links or info on any of them? I am still trying to figure out what the best build up for these would be. Any reply greatly appreciated.

You mention 3 to 4 designs you've heard the CHP70's in that you liked... may I ask what those designs were? If there are links or info on any of them? I am still trying to figure out what the best build up for these would be. Any reply greatly appreciated.

I might have alluded to several enclosure designs in which I've enjoyed the EL70 (and let's go out on a limb and assume the CHP70 will actually sound similar enough :rolleyes:) . Several of these have been rationalized so that with minor adjustments to tuning (or deletion) of ports, they will perform equally as well with the CHR70. There was also a great sounding dual driver system of Bob Reimer's - Parts Express curved MDF enclosure and IINM, fairly textbook calculated port tuning, but whether or not any EQ/BSC etc, I'm not so sure. I personally didn't find any "correction" necessary with this driver.

the designs are coincidentally, all listed here:

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/boxes-CSS.html

specifically:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/Mar-Kel70-1v01f-map-110410.pdf

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/mMar-Kel70-1v0-map-231009.pdf

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/microTower-maps-150909.pdf

As has been often noted, the "Castle" version of the third link in the above list is my "daily driver"

(the Mark Audio labeled designs are elsewhere on the same site)

Last edited:
Wow... thanks Chris. Lot of food for thought. Unfortunately, I don't have the means $wise to do a 2 driver per speaker arrangement, at this time... I must admit I am thoroughly intrigued (I think you just started another obsessive compulsive motivation). I have to be wary of the W.A.F. on this one because I am doing this while my wife is away visiting her family so I have to keep it small, and simple as I only have maybe 2 months now to do this. Seeing as how this is only my second set of speakers (and first set of cabinets) I prefer to keep complexity, size (though I know she would prefer freestanding, or wall mount), and cost at a minimum. Those wall mount half towers look intriguing, would they require some kind of padding between them and the back wall to keep vibration at a minimum (we have stone walls) I think I am leaning towards a pensil style or Cyburg's needle type speaker... something small, tall, and sleek. If I can paint them white and blend them into the decor she wont care. Again, I thank you for the suggestions... I can't seem to shake that "Castle" design out of my head though, what's the low end like on that? I would suspect the imagining must really shine, eh?

Now I can somewhat incomplete compare these two speakers (CHP is still in burn-in process).
A small volume without loudness - CHR sounds clearer - and it's logical due CHP HF roll off . Increasing the volume of the CHP is milder (CHR is getting too high-maybe need some RL correction filter?), As the author intended - a vintage sound. unobtrusive, light touch, a good sounding piano, Agnes Obel, Norah Jones, Sade, Katie Melua etc, etc..
CHR is visually more attractive than the CHP, but its not so important. CHR is a sophisticated and modern sounds - such as some others modern metallic speakers I've heard ..
it's like the second harmonics VS third harmonic - some one prefer tube SE , others - PP transistors etc...it is a matter of taste IMHO.
I like both - and I think I will leave both.;)
Both are very good sounding for the price.

Attachments

• DSC08965.JPG
    DSC08965.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 420
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.