Tang Bang W8-1772 Project Advice Needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2010, 10:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tang Bang W8-1772 Project Advice Needed

I am about to begin a Tang Bang W8-1772 FR speaker project.

Based on information from Bob Brines on this full range speaker I decided on a 1.5 Cu Ft BR cabinet with a single 3" port 4" long.

I have two questions.

1. Should a recess be routed in the cabinet for these speakers?

2. Does lining the inside of the cabinet with sound damping material make sense? The cabinet will be made with 3/4" Aspen. I know it may not be the ideal material but it's all I have available.

(I've got some DIY experience. I built a 2-way BR with a Seas 27TDFC/RS-180 designed by Jay Kim. Those turned out to be excellent sounding speakers when driven with my PS Audio Digital Amp & DAC)

Now, I want to get into FR speakers with a SET tube amp.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:15 PM   #2
tomchr is online now tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Unless you fancy diffraction, I suggest that you mount the drivers so the front of the flange is flush with the front of the baffle.

For the damping material, I suggest looking at Acousta-Stuf. At least give the flat surfaces a good coat of that to dampen box resonances.

~Tom
Old 29th November 2010, 11:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Enjoy building your project. I am curious if you will be using a circuit on the full range driver or not.

I would imagine TB was looking at the Fostex market with their 1772 and 1808 full range drivers designing a low and mid Qts for back horns and/or ported designs only to have Fostex revamp their line to primarily low Qts drivers.

I have the 1808 and it's great! If the similar looking 1772 is similar sounding then it too should be great.

Zilla
Old 30th November 2010, 12:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Enjoy building your project. I am curious if you will be using a circuit on the full range driver or not.

Zilla

I hope not! But I won't know until I hear it first. The reason I want to try an SET tube amp and a FR speaker system is to get down to the very very simplist level as possible.

Initially I wanted to build an econowave for a SET tube amp. But I changed my mind after thinking about it a while. I don't want an X-over between the amp and the speaker driver.

What do you think about recessing the speaker? What do you think about lining the enclosure with sound damping material?
Old 30th November 2010, 05:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

That should read Tang Band W8-1772, not Tang *Bang* W8-1772. Sorry for the typo.
Old 30th November 2010, 03:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default cabinet damping.

i would line the internal walls of your box, as another poster pointed out.

if you can find it i would lone with 1/4-1/2" wool felt, or wool felt underlay (accounting for the volume taken up by the liner) and BAF wadding(acoustastuff, pillow fill polyfibre) on top of that. the BAF doesnt require much if any compensation for volume, unless you fill the entire box.

i. myself had been considering this driver too, although a 'simple' filter to tame the HF a bit, maybe just a single coil, or if necessary a gentle notch.

hope this is of some help, i have been loking at the TB fullrangers for a while now (and dribbling profusely)

good luck

Last edited by mondogenerator; 30th November 2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 30th November 2010, 05:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

>>> i have been loking at the TB fullrangers for a while now (and dribbling profusely)

They are dribble worthy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1808+H-frame.jpg (55.0 KB, 581 views)
Old 30th November 2010, 05:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to activexp Send a message via AIM to activexp Send a message via MSN to activexp Send a message via Yahoo to activexp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOfOakCreek View Post
That should read Tang Band W8-1772, not Tang *Bang* W8-1772. Sorry for the typo.
Easy to do! Tand Band, Tang Bang.....I can never get it right first time
Old 30th November 2010, 06:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

>>> What do you think about recessing the speaker?
>>> What do you think about lining the enclosure with sound damping material?

I've never recessed a driver before so can't comment on the sonic advantages. I'd imagine any advantage would be small.

I would stuff the cabinet loosely with acousta stuff... it's good stuff.

I have the 1808 not the 1772. I bought the 1808 in case i wanted to use it in a simple sealed box. I am sure Bob's box will sound good but i know he's not opposed to shelving down the top octaves of the speakers he designs with a clever circuit.
Old 30th November 2010, 08:03 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
if you can find it i would lone with 1/4-1/2" wool felt, or wool felt underlay (accounting for the volume taken up by the liner)
Unless so dense as to not be worthwhile using wool or cotton felt does not take away from the internal volume... it will subtly increase the apparent box volume as would other damping materials.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!