My new Alpair 12's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just arrived today .

DSC_0232.jpg

kinda disappointed in the factory cabinets . they sound kinda cardboardy . lack soundstage and the bass is nonexistent ;)

Lol , Hi

cabinetmaker by profession and vinyl junkie after hours .

after finally getting my man cave built and resurrecting my old stuff , i found this place among others .

after reading and studying for the last few weeks , thought i'd say Hi :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
kinda disappointed in the factory cabinets . they sound kinda cardboardy . lack soundstage and the bass is nonexistent ;)

:)

Hi Woody - and Welcome to diyAudio!!! :D:D:D

You have started out with some outstanding speakers so I figure you already know where you are headed and how to get there.

About the lack of bass and soundstage - - - - - MA strongly suggest a gentle and extended break-in period for his drivers. I'm sure that things will improve after a couple of hundred hours - which will give you time to finish the cabs. :rolleyes:

Woody,

As i suggested in my email earlier today, i did get the ClassicGR Mar-Ken12 going today.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

so how are they sounding Dave ? i'm just about to throw a set of those cabs together . you guys do realize that that bit about the "factory" cabinets was all tongue in cheek i hope .

my plans now are to build those and hopefully the full onken version and also the pencils . all out of plywood , then decide what nice show quality ones to build .

while my man cave is only 12 x 15 my livingroom/diningroom/kitchen open floor is 4 times that w/ cathedral ceilings so it will be interesting .

thanx for the welcome :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've been listening at a more reasonably loud level for the last hour and a bit. Good thing i can call this work because i should be downstairs working on A7eN.

I think these should get better with some more run in, they have about 18 hrs since treatment and had 2-300 hrs low level before, but they have been sitting since July.

Current impressions:
They don't do bad recordings any favours.
have good dynamic & tonal swing
throw a big image/soundstage, but aren't as 3D depthwise as A7eN
bass, if it is on the recording is good, not in anyway bloated, very realistic
i'll have to get the measure kit out, but either they don't go as low as say Mar-Kel70, or the Mar-Kel has a bit of mid-upper bass emphasis.

Listening now to Sunyata -- well recorded natural instruments -- captivating.

Sims put F3 in the mid-hi 50s, F10 in the mid 40s anechoic. Don & Jeff are familiar with my room.

In my room we can probably say that these are close to 9 octave, top is perhaps a bit subdued ref A7eN at the extreme top (and certainly not an FF85KeN, but its top starts rising at ~16k, bat ears complain a bit), but then along comes something that has you second guessing.

A bit of a cameleon... if it is actually on the recording it does a good job, if not then it doesn't cover for the lack.

dave

PS: sure nice having a remote for iTunes now.

just arrived today .
DSC_0232.jpg

Lol , Hi
cabinetmaker by profession and vinyl junkie after hours . after finally getting my man cave built and resurrecting my old stuff , i found this place among others .
after reading and studying for the last few weeks , thought i'd say Hi :)

Hi Woody,
Very surprised you rushed to judgement so quickly. Urge you to follow the running procedure as the first thing to do. Get this part wrong, you'll kill the drivers.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/154223-running-alpair-7-12-a.html

To get the best from Alp12's, these Alps will demand the best from you. So.....

1 - Get the box design properly sorted out (could try Pencil 12 and big Pencil 12)
2 - Choose your amp and source with care
3 - Don't bother playing playing poor recordings or compressed music files, these Alps will spit them out.

This driver is designed for serious and experienced home builders, and those who undertake allot acoustic research. The challenge and the satisfaction is all part of the fun with this driver. Let's see if you're up for it. ;)

Cheers

Mark.

PS - Pencil 12 thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/155511-alpair-12-damped-air-coupler-box-design.html

(Dave's done nice drawings on Pencil 12 and big Pencil 12)

Last edited:
Hi Woody,
Very surprised you rushed to judgement so quickly. Urge you to follow the running procedure as the first thing to do. Get this part wrong, you'll kill the drivers.

lol Mark , listening to Bonnie Raitt on my new Alpair 12's .

DSC_0233.jpg

however those factory cabinets you ship them in leave a lot to be desired ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
lol Mark , listening to Bonnie Raitt on my new Alpair 12's .
however those factory cabinets you ship them in leave a lot to be desired ;)

Hiya Woody,
Bonnie Raitt..... Sounds interesting? Must look at this artist up.
factory cabinets????:confused: I'm only making the driver (not making/shipping cabs). Ya mean the boxes......;)
M

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hiya Woody,
Bonnie Raitt..... Sounds interesting? Must look at this artist up.
factory cabinets????:confused: I'm only making the driver (not making/shipping cabs)
M

WHAT??? Ya mean that those really are SHIPPING box's????? Hmmmmm....... back to da drawing board!! :D:D:D

Hey Woody - don't sweat it - we luv you new kids!!! Really!!! You can trust me on this!!! :sly:

Mark - Bonnie started out singing back-up for a guy named Roy sumpt'n - oh yeah - Roy Orbison. Then she grew up and started doing her own stuff for like the last - well it's not polite to discuss a lady's age. http://www.bonnieraitt.com/

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.