2w SET amp : OB w/ 15" boomer or TL BOFU ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With this solution it really looks like an FR + standard active subwoofer.
This could be a cheap solution buying a sub second hand. But I often find by friends that a subwoofer is more often boom-boom than really blending with anything.

I think the OP was considering using the Alpha 15a. This driver is popular as a bass driver on OB and H-frame (it is certainly not popular as a compact sub driver!). Used in that manner (H-frame or OB), the bass is far from boomy - it is in fact exceptionally good (especially the H-frame). Then put the FR on an OB on top (of the H-frame). Most of the plate amps have crossovers that will adjust up to 180-200Hz. The rising lower mids of the H-frame seems to go well with efficient FR's, filling in the lower mids and producing a realistic sense of warmth. And they really do blend well. The biggest challenge is finding the optimum location in the listening room - about 4 ft. from the nearest wall will get you in the ballpark.

Regards,

Bob

Just a test I did...that could have a great impact on my beliefs.

Following this discussion, I tried to imagine what could my 103e sound like if I had to cut it high-pass with a sub. I had just a pair of bipolar 100uF on hand and had a try (high pass 1st order at about 100Hz) : the sound lacked bass, had perhaps an audible phase shift... but sounded much faster, much precise, less aggressive on the medium-upper frequencies... globally... BETTER ? :cannotbe: (MY WIFE AGREES) :eek: (still with my 2w 45 SET)

Would FR be a purist myth ??? (the kind of i have been seeking after for the past two years, seduced by its "simpler is better" approach !) :confused: :confused: :confused:

Leaving medium where it should be bla bla : I did not want to hear that until now. (was hearing : crossover is evil)

So two options : is the 103e Xmax (in TQWT) too low, creating increasing audible distortion with power ? > solution would be a driver with a bigger Xmax (solution for aggressive sound, but perhaps not for a fast sound)
Or would any small FR sound better (but above reservations) if it is left doing the frequencies it is designed to sound at its best ?

But before my opinion settles in anywhere, I will make longer tests this week-end and then report again... also have a pair of 30uF Obbligato MKP in OIl...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.