New speaker day (sort of) - vintage Wharfedale content

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just got in a pair of vintage Wharfedale SFB/3 speakers. These are the open baffle design with 3 alnico drivers (a 12, a 10 and a 3"). The drivers are shot - one 10 is missing the whole cone, the 12s have no surrounds, etc. Someday I'll probably get them all reconed and find out what these sounded like stock, but I have another plan for now. Otherwise they need some cleaning and "furniture care", but are in good shape.

The reason I'm posting in the full range section is that my plan is to load my Tang Band 1808s in them, possibly putting a piezo supertweeter in the upward firing tweeter spot. I plan to make plywood inserts to cover the current speaker holes, and mount the 8" TB on one of the inserts. The question I'm putting to you is, should I mount the TB in the upper, off center, 10" speaker hole, or in the low, centered, 12" speaker hole? I'll be sitting at least 10 feet away when listening. I might be using a supplementary, separate sealed woofer sometimes as well for below 100 Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.