Alpair 7/12 Running-In

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just received them in the mail, and I won't have a chance to finish the boxes until the weekend. Is it safe to start the run-in process without enclosures?

I'd like to start running them now so they're ready for some moderate listening when I get the enclosures built, but I don't want to wreck ~$600 worth of drivers to save a few hours.

Whatever yu do, be very, very gentle. I ruined mine. They sounded so good that I just wanted to crank them (I was dumb but I sure had fun). There are official break-in guidelines on the Mark Audio forum (here).

Just curious, why did you get both the 7's and 12's?

Thanks. I plan to be very careful. I came across the guidelines on the forum after seeing it on the Mark Audio site. I started the 12's with a Tenacious D CD (primarily vocals and acoustic guitar) at a level where vocals are indecipherable at about 3' away and inaudible at 10'. I'm sure it's a tad gentle, but I can't imagine getting even close to 2mm xmax limit.

They're going to be a home theater setup so I got the 12's for L/R/C and the 7's for surrounds. With my awkward setup I didn't have space for the enclosures required by 12's. I also wanted the 7's to test out as replacements for my TB W3-871s PC speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.