diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Choice full-range drivers for Fostex BLH (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/177429-choice-full-range-drivers-fostex-blh.html)

KnyazHM 17th November 2010 10:42 AM

Choice full-range drivers for Fostex BLH
 
I have these enclosures
http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...6e_enclrev.pdf
What driver it is better to put?
1. Fostex 206E
2. Audio Nirvana Super 8
2. Hemptone FR8
3. Omega ALN8omega
4. Omega MQ8LBomega (Omega Speaker Systems - About > Aperiodic Ports)
or other?

Thanks

chrisb 17th November 2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnyazHM (Post 2367969)
I have these enclosures
http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...6e_enclrev.pdf
What driver it is better to put?
1. Fostex 206E
2. Audio Nirvana Super 8
2. Hemptone FR8
3. Omega ALN8omega
4. Omega MQ8LBomega (Omega Speaker Systems - About > Aperiodic Ports)
or other?

Thanks


try them all and let us know? :)

My intuition is the Fostex or Audio Nirvana would be better BLH candidates from this list.

the price of $128 ea as my first result of Google search on Hemptone seems rather steep

IINM, Louis' Omega drivers are intended for vented or sealed alignment

no doubt there are other brands / models equally adept for this particular enclosure

KnyazHM 18th November 2010 02:53 AM

I listened Omega Compact Hemp. Sounded perfectly well. It is impossible to put Omega MQ8LBomega drivers in this BLH?

chrisb 18th November 2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnyazHM (Post 2368820)
I listened Omega Compact Hemp. Sounded perfectly well. It is impossible to put Omega MQ8LBomega drivers in this BLH?


The Omega family of drivers are OEM per Louis' specifications, and as you'll note from his website, most of his current enclosures are vented / aperiodic type alignments. I think this question would be best put directly to him:

marathonspeakers@juno.com

paba 19th November 2010 04:33 PM

Hi,

for BLH, you need drivers with low QTS say less than 0.3 lower is better, so the FE206En has 0.19. Above 0.3 you want to avoid BLH.

another driver could be this one, but I have not tried it. (Qts=0.23)
DECWARE Full Range Driver DFR-8.

cheers
paba

chrisb 19th November 2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paba (Post 2370557)
Hi,

for BLH, you need drivers with low QTS say less than 0.3 lower is better, so the FE206En has 0.19. Above 0.3 you want to avoid BLH.

another driver could be this one, but I have not tried it. (Qts=0.23)
DECWARE Full Range Driver DFR-8.

cheers
paba


Steve's mods to this driver (actually the previous FE206E) are more extensive than just a few painted dots, including some to suspension that must surely affect T/S parameters. While he posts extensive graphs, I'm not sure that revised simple T/S figures that hobbyists could plug into simulators figures have been published.

That's not meant to imply it wouldn't work very well in designs other than his own, just that I'm not sure if any such projects have been discussed.

planet10 19th November 2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paba (Post 2370557)
another driver could be this one, but I have not tried it. (Qts=0.23)
DECWARE Full Range Driver DFR-8

An FE206En with an extra foam surround, weird phase plugs, and a few other tweaks. Well executed, a pain to work on, and some stuff that i don't like philisophically -- i'm not a big fan of surrounds that stick out.

dave

KnyazHM 20th November 2010 06:42 AM

Has ordered Omega MQ8LBomega


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:47 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2