fe 126

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
+1 ... Do consider the Frugel-Horn Mk3!

My girlfriend instantly liked them after seeing pictures. (She likes the look of the Needles too.)

Here's the thread w/ pictures if you haven't come across it yet: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/172605-frugel-horn-mk3.html

I hadn't come across it yet either. It looks like those have a baffle that can be changed out.

Perhaps the next build I do will not block the view from my windows. The sweep/arc would be a challenge to cut though. Also moving seems sort of problematic. I'm talking about moving in a truck. Are these going to have the deflector as well?

I hadn't come across it yet either. It looks like those have a baffle that can be changed out.

Perhaps the next build I do will not block the view from my windows. The sweep/arc would be a challenge to cut though. Also moving seems sort of problematic. I'm talking about moving in a truck. Are these going to have the deflector as well?

AFAIK the replaceable baffle is a "custom" addon - it's not in the official plans. Easy enough to implement, it seems.

And re. cutting the arc - there's a Trick :) Clamp a flexible board on, trace its curve. It's described in the plans, as well as either in that thread or the beta build thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/172937-frugel-horn-mk3-beta-builds.html

AFAIK the replaceable baffle is a "custom" addon - it's not in the official plans. Easy enough to implement, it seems.

yep - to allow for quick testing of a range of candidates. I liked the FE126E in this box right from the start (there's something about that driver in a BLH that's wonderfully musical - warts and all )

And re. cutting the arc - there's a Trick :) Clamp a flexible board on, trace its curve. It's described in the plans, as well as either in that thread or the beta build thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/172937-frugel-horn-mk3-beta-builds.html
I've been spoiled having access to a CNC and talented operator, but every now and then need to resort to what I think I remember - and drawing the arc with flexy-stik hardly took any brain-power at all. If you have access to a router and pattern following or flush trim bit, I'd suggest spending the time on fine tuning an MDF template, rough cutting the actual side panels oversize with jig or band saw, and finishing up with the router. These are really a fairly quick build - complete with 4 pairs of driver plates, they were ready for stuffing after a single full day in the shop.

the original frugal horn was designed to put near corners.. is the new version similar?

or does it work farther away from the walls

depends on the driver / amp combo to a degree - but closer to corner will certainly extend the effective mouth area

in the case of the FE126E cited in OP - near to corner loading (particularly with many SS amps) would probably be my starting point

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.