fe 126 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2010, 06:09 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
I hadn't come across it yet either. It looks like those have a baffle that can be changed out.

Perhaps the next build I do will not block the view from my windows. The sweep/arc would be a challenge to cut though. Also moving seems sort of problematic. I'm talking about moving in a truck. Are these going to have the deflector as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristleifur View Post
AFAIK the replaceable baffle is a "custom" addon - it's not in the official plans. Easy enough to implement, it seems.
yep - to allow for quick testing of a range of candidates. I liked the FE126E in this box right from the start (there's something about that driver in a BLH that's wonderfully musical - warts and all )

Quote:

And re. cutting the arc - there's a Trick Clamp a flexible board on, trace its curve. It's described in the plans, as well as either in that thread or the beta build thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...ta-builds.html
I've been spoiled having access to a CNC and talented operator, but every now and then need to resort to what I think I remember - and drawing the arc with flexy-stik hardly took any brain-power at all. If you have access to a router and pattern following or flush trim bit, I'd suggest spending the time on fine tuning an MDF template, rough cutting the actual side panels oversize with jig or band saw, and finishing up with the router. These are really a fairly quick build - complete with 4 pairs of driver plates, they were ready for stuffing after a single full day in the shop.
Old 9th November 2010, 05:31 PM   #12
mcr483 is offline mcr483  Finland
diyAudio Member

the original frugal horn was designed to put near corners.. is the new version similar?

or does it work farther away from the walls
Old 9th November 2010, 06:36 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr483 View Post
the original frugal horn was designed to put near corners.. is the new version similar?

or does it work farther away from the walls

depends on the driver / amp combo to a degree - but closer to corner will certainly extend the effective mouth area

in the case of the FE126E cited in OP - near to corner loading (particularly with many SS amps) would probably be my starting point
Old 9th November 2010, 06:46 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr483 View Post
It was designed to at least take advantage of a close-by wall, but with the higher Q drivers & less stuffing many will still be happy with them out a bit from the wall.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!