Madisound BK-20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2010, 01:38 PM   #1
debk is offline debk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Madisound BK-20

I am going to build some speaker using Fostex FE206eN drivers.

I noticed that Madisound sell a flat pack BK-20. I can't find any reviews of them. Has anyone heard them, and what do you think.

I am also considering building a pair of Sachiko's. My only concern with the Sachiko's is that I my room is on the smaller side and they would have to be placed near the wall. I understand they work best in a larger room away from the wall a bit. My listening distance is about 9 ft.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Debra
Old 6th November 2010, 02:42 PM   #2
jamesdb is offline jamesdb  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe if space is an issue the half Chang may be an option over the Sachiko, but it shows the FE207 rather than the FE206 though. Another option that would be smaller than the Sachiko is the Singular, which was designed for the FE206 BD-Design, only the best!
Old 6th November 2010, 02:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Debra, well since -any- thoughts are appreciated, I'll hazard an opinion even though I'm a newb.

For what this is worth, the BK-20 looks to be a somewhat antique design to my eyes. By comparison, the Sachiko was computer-modeled to get (among other things) deeper bass. I would vote for the design with more engineering behind it, room size aside.
Old 6th November 2010, 03:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

rjbond3rd
I am thinking along similar lines, but wanted to solicit opinons before I get the wood and start cutting

Deb
Old 6th November 2010, 04:01 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Deb,

Your room is indeed a bit tight for Sachiko. Have you looked at the RonHorn Dallas II? Plans are a bit sketchy due to the originals being eaten by Windows. It has always been my intention to redraw them thou.

As RJ says, BK20 is a bit of an antique and didn't take advantage of modern tools. It was designed for the FE206 that predated the FE206e (the driver that FE206En just replaced). 206e & 206En are quite similar, but few here have experience with earlier 206.

It works but will not squeeze as much performance out as more modern designs that take advantage of the advances in modeling horns.

dave
Old 6th November 2010, 04:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

what do you loose if the room is to small with the Sachiko's?

Deb
Old 6th November 2010, 04:21 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There are 2 primary issues. 1st is that you won't be able to get far enuff away for the 2 mouths to integrate, so the transition from midrange to bass will not be as seemless as if you can get further away. This may not be as big an issue as we make of it. The other is that you may end up with too much bass. This fortunately could be fixed with a filter that attenuates the bass. Said filter should make bass even more effortless.

dave
Old 6th November 2010, 07:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Deb,

I built a pair of Half Changs with FE206e after hearing Bob Trancho's:

Half Chang build

Although the HCs were designed for the FE207e, the FE206e work quite well. We added a BSC of 1 mH air core inductor and 5.5 ohm Mills resistor (IIRC).
The 207 should have a bit more bass extension, but I find the 206 to be quite sufficient--no need for a sub woofer. By all reports the FE206e should be a bit better--i.e. more refined.

Cheers, Jim
Old 6th November 2010, 07:28 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Thanx for chiming in Jim. I was going to mention your halfChang, but wanted to look up the filter 1st.

dave
Old 6th November 2010, 08:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

What does the BSC do to the sensitivity of the system. I plan on driving these with a 8W SET amo (300B) that I am building.

Deb

Hide this!Advertise here!