Favorite Full Range Driver Poll

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm going to have to travel to one of the DIY events so I can hear a variety of them. I can't afford to build speakers just to audition a driver. Getting a first listen to my CSS EL 70's in the Coniston^2 cabinet and they are impressive thus far. Not including buying 10 clamps and a new saw blade, the build cost just a bit over $300 which represents a tremendous value for the sound they produce. I think that high value is a hallmark of most full range applications. I should note that the cost of my Coniston^2 build does not factor in Scott Moose's design prowess which in a retail environment would certainly add a considerable amount. Thank you Scott :)

Last edited:
Don's will have a big advantage with breakib if you don't hurry up Terry ;)

dave

Et Tu, Dlugos?

For those of you that haven't attended the Vancouver Island DIY Fest, Dave (with Don the Doorman) is trying to cramp my style by forcing me to show up with a project already completed, instead of me using his workbench to build it at the event. This is actually a conspiracy on a grand scale between these two nefarious villains to catch me off balance and topple me from my exalted position as "The World's Foremost Leader in Bondo Technology and Bad Speaker Design!"

A fie upon your souls, I defy you both!
:mad:

Best Regards,
TerryO

My current favorite is the TB 1808s warts and all... but i love so many full range drivers. I can live with several... i also really like the 4" TB bamboo drivers. My favorite Fostex is the 165k in a BIB. I have not heard many of the favorites here like the Jordan's, none of the Alpair's, none of the AN's... but i can say i enjoy what i've heard.

Attachments

• 1808+H-frame.jpg
    1808+H-frame.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 616
  • DIY-Speakers.jpg
    DIY-Speakers.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 564
  • 165kBIB2.jpg
    165kBIB2.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
Probably the Radio Shack 40-1354a with Planet 10 phase plugs in Bob Brines' cabinet.
All except the cabinet at your service sir.

I wonder who has listened to the most full range drivers on this forum.

I pick planet10. He has more drivers than anyone should and has probably listened to all 4,392 of them.

Attachments

• IMG_8956.JPG
    IMG_8956.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 523
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Wow! no one mentioned Lowthers?

PM4 in Oris front horn is the best I've heard. No bass and (still) limited SPL, though. And I haven't heard many.

And where are the Feastrex guys? And how about Supravox?

I've heard Oris Horns with PM4A's some time ago with Onken Bass Cabs and Marchand X-over. Very nice. Very dynamic. But the sweet spot was small in his setup.

I've heard PM6As, PM2As, DX3, DX4, PM5As with copper VC and no high ferric, and the proto lowther field coils. They are all very nice. With DX4's and PM5A's I personally own. I prefer open baffle to BLHs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.