Need Complete Home Theater EL70/CHR-70/Alpair 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2010, 03:52 AM   #1
cbro is offline cbro  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Need Complete Home Theater EL70/CHR-70/Alpair 7

I recently picked up a new LG 55LE5400 and Denon AVR-990, and I'm looking to replace my aging Wayne J. Dayton Home Theater DIY.

My most recent DIY was a pair of CSS ELF 1.0 (Tangband W3-871S) driven with a Sonic Impact T-amp. That was ~3 years ago and they're still serving me as wonderful PC speakers. I decided it may be worth it too look into fullrange for my home theater setup as well.

I have 3 main constraints:

1. Complete complimentary system (LCR+surrounds).
2. Preferably 8-ohm speakers than can handle the claimed AVR-990 120W/ch.
3. This unfortunate setup:

Click the image to open in full size.

The viewing distance is about ~10' and the fronts of the speakers can be no more than 18" away from the wall (I'm assuming this elminates bipole designs?).

I've been primarily interested in the EL70, the CHR-70, and the Alpair 7 due to the favourable reviews and ease of access. In particular, I've been looking at the the Coniston^2 or the castle microTowers, but I'm not sure how well those will fare with my room and how I'd integrate a center and surrounds. I'd like to purchase from Creative Sound or Solen if possible. Duty, taxes, exchange, and brokerage fees are a pain for US purchases.

Other than what I've outlined, size/shape/complexity is a non-issue. I'm fairly skilled with woodworking and have a full shop (sans lathe) to play with.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and if there's anything else that would help in guiding me, please ask. Budget is not really an issue provided it's under $750 for all drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg setup.jpg (100.2 KB, 706 views)
Old 29th October 2010, 12:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

10' distance ?
can you get the alpair 12's ?
5 x alpair 12s = 5 x $143 (madisound, ship not included) = $715

see graham's alpair 12 setup.......
Graham's hifi page

I've never heard the 12, but people have liked the 12 here.

Norman
Old 29th October 2010, 01:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Crossblade Send a message via AIM to Crossblade Send a message via MSN to Crossblade Send a message via Yahoo to Crossblade
The 6.5" cone of the Alpair 12 should be a Bonus for home theater, shouldn't it.

Wish you luck!
Old 29th October 2010, 11:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
10' distance ?
can you get the alpair 12's ?
5 x alpair 12s = 5 x $143 (madisound, ship not included) = $715

see graham's alpair 12 setup.......
Graham's hifi page

I've never heard the 12, but people have liked the 12 here.

Norman
That looks quite nice. I'll have to give the 12's a closer look. I also notice he went with the 7's as surrounds. I think I'd probably do the same, but hopefully in a smaller package.

Does anyone know if the Alpair 12's are a substantial step up from the Alpair 7's or EL70's?
Old 30th October 2010, 12:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

sound wise, I've no idea.
For me, the alpair 12 has almost 3 times the cone area yet has less than double the price (compared to dual alpair 7). The cone is also the same as 3 alpair 7's.

Coming from dual 4" setup (5" frames making for 114cm2 total cone area, still less than a alp12), I'm thinking it would be wiser to use a larger driver than 2 smaller ones run wide open. I'll report here when my alpair 12 pencils arrive.

Norman
Old 30th October 2010, 12:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
sound wise, I've no idea.
For me, the alpair 12 has almost 3 times the cone area yet has less than double the price (compared to dual alpair 7). The cone is also the same as 3 alpair 7's.

Coming from dual 4" setup (5" frames making for 114cm2 total cone area, still less than a alp12), I'm thinking it would be wiser to use a larger driver than 2 smaller ones run wide open. I'll report here when my alpair 12 pencils arrive.

Norman
Excellent! Thanks.
Old 30th October 2010, 12:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

For dedicated listening the A12 would be fine. However I think for home theater where you (or someone else) will not be directly on axis the A12 might be a poor choice.
Old 30th October 2010, 02:58 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The A7, A10, & A12 are very much of a family. They all sound the "same". Differences lie pretty much as you'd guess based on their size. Dynamics, impact, dispersion, midrange finese, box size*, cost all a bit different based as one qould expect by their size. Bass extension of A7 is not that far from the A10 & A12 (whose LF reach are not all that different).

You won't go wrong with any of them.

*(optimum box size for my miniOnken boxes at 9, 13, 13 litres so that are not all that different, A12 Mar-Ken12 has finally resolved itself )

These drivers are a step up in terms of finesse and downward dynamic range from the EL70, CHR70, but if you really like dynamics & impact 4 EL70s are likely going to outdo 1 A12. CHR70 not far behind and likes small sealed boxes so it will sit in places the others won't.

dave
Old 30th October 2010, 02:58 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italynstylion View Post
For dedicated listening the A12 would be fine. However I think for home theater where you (or someone else) will not be directly on axis the A12 might be a poor choice.
What would you suggest as an alternative? It was actually your Lotus build with a center channel(pictured here) that got me looking at the Coniston^2.

They look incredible and I could build a pair for the pretty well the same price as a single A12. I also really like the center channel. Is there a design somewhere or is that a one-off?
Old 30th October 2010, 03:43 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

[QUOTE=cbro;2348130]

Quote:
Originally Posted by italynstylion View Post
Quote:
What would you suggest as an alternative?
Steven's reference has to do with driver size. As a generalization, a cone will get directional earlier if the driver is larger.

The A12 may not have the dispersion you need to cover someone way off centre. A smaller driver should do better in that respect.

That said, the Alpair cone has good dispersion relative their size.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!