FR with car xover to Hframe woofer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2010, 04:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default FR with car xover to Hframe woofer

I am making a set of open baffle full range speakers with Hframe woofers. I have a moscode amplifier I wanted to use for the woofers, and a tubelab simple se for the full rangers.
I wanted to use a car xover because I like all the features you can use (adjustable bass freq boost, amount of boost etc) and I thought I might be able set it up to decrease the level of the top two octaves instead of a baffle step network
My question is can you (with the correct power supply) use a car audio x over in a home stereo?
There is a web site that says you can't; you'll blow up your amp.
Most of the crossovers I've seen for home/studio don't use phono plugs, the others are too pricey, or don't have the features I want
Thanks
Paul
Old 21st October 2010, 05:44 AM   #2
vlad335 is offline vlad335  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't see why you can't as long as you have a stable power supply and measure the voltages, watch for ground loops, etc. Problem is that alot of gear that's car stereo oriented is over priced garbage. Active electronic crossovers in particular. Most all but the ridiculously expensive are loaded with noise, have crappy slopes, and the settings are dialed in via knobs that take some serious guesswork to get what you want.

I have used a few and this is the best that I ran across regardless of price. JBL GTX47 4 Channel AutomCrossover Grand Touring Series - eBay (item 320525351072 end time Oct-27-10 20:02:45 PDT)

Has 18db and real LR4 slopes and its absolutely dead quiet in my 4runner. Also has a great deal of flexibility and includes a couple bandpass channels as well. You can run it up to 6 way stereo.

I plan on getting a JBL MS-8 and when I do going to play around with it in the house using a power inverter.

Hide this!Advertise here!