Stephens Tru-Sonic 206 AXA - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2010, 03:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Stephens Tru-Sonic 206 AXA

Hello, and thank you for having me.
My first post will be a broad question; Any Stephens fans?
I recently acquired a pair of these and would love to hear what others have done with them.

Regards,
Marshall
Old 20th October 2010, 04:00 AM   #2
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

hi Marshall - I've not been lucky enough to hear that coaxial but it was (and assume "is") prized in the original Karlson K15 enclosure

best, Freddy

http://home.earthlink.net/~buddhaboy2/K15.PNG
Old 20th October 2010, 03:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
hi Marshall - I've not been lucky enough to hear that coaxial but it was (and assume "is") prized in the original Karlson K15 enclosure

best, Freddy

Thank you Freddy.
I've admired those boxes for some time. My current situation does not allow for me to attempt constructing a pair, unfortunately.
I do own a pair of JBL C40 boxes, which are currently loaded; I am considering making a new baffle board and trying the Stephens in those. Even that is a bit difficult as I live in a small place.
Do you know if the Stephens have been successfully used with an open baffle?
Marshall
Old 20th October 2010, 04:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post

best, Freddy

Hi Freddy,
Tell me about the Karlson; were they all home built or was there a Karlson factory as well?
The reason I ask is that I see them up for sale from time to time, and have always wondered.
Or am I better off finding a way to just build my own?
Is there any wood that has to be curved? (not 100% on this from the plans you provided, I am not much of a wood worker, more a re-finisher).
Thanks again,
Marshall
Old 20th October 2010, 04:24 PM   #5
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSmith View Post
Hi Freddy,
Tell me about the Karlson; were they all home built or was there a Karlson factory as well?
The reason I ask is that I see them up for sale from time to time, and have always wondered.
Or am I better off finding a way to just build my own?
Is there any wood that has to be curved? (not 100% on this from the plans you provided, I am not much of a wood worker, more a re-finisher).
Thanks again,
Marshall
You had factory Karlsons as well as homemade efforts. I think that factory Karlsons can even be divided into home and pro versions, but don't quote me on that just yet! Perhaps even clones from other companies. I'm pretty sure Pioneer had one.

The old plans don't ask for any curved wood, but recently, curved reflector panels have been tried with I believe positive results. You can ask Freddy, as I think he might have tried it.

IG
Old 20th October 2010, 04:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG81 View Post
You had factory Karlsons as well as homemade efforts. I think that factory Karlsons can even be divided into home and pro versions, but don't quote me on that just yet! Perhaps even clones from other companies. I'm pretty sure Pioneer had one.

The old plans don't ask for any curved wood, but recently, curved reflector panels have been tried with I believe positive results. You can ask Freddy, as I think he might have tried it.

IG
This is a fascinating prospect!
I have always relied on ready made, off the shelf boxes.
I regret now having just skimmed over Karlson material over the years, thinking that it/they didn't apply to me.
I also regret not having a proper wood working arraignment. (or the skills for that matter)
With the acquisition of these old Stephens it has become apparent to me that now I must get motivated!
I can hear that their current enclosures is all that is holding them back.
Regards,
Marshall
Old 20th October 2010, 06:56 PM   #7
DeKay is offline DeKay  United States
diyAudio Member

Here are TS measurements (206 AXA).

AudioBlog: 15" coaxial t/s stephens

We had them ceiling mounted in the basement when I was little and I sent my father a replacement pair 6-7 years ago ($35 thrift find), but I don't know much about them.
Old 20th October 2010, 07:06 PM   #8
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSmith View Post
This is a fascinating prospect!
I have always relied on ready made, off the shelf boxes.
I regret now having just skimmed over Karlson material over the years, thinking that it/they didn't apply to me.
I also regret not having a proper wood working arraignment. (or the skills for that matter)
With the acquisition of these old Stephens it has become apparent to me that now I must get motivated!
I can hear that their current enclosures is all that is holding them back.
Regards,
Marshall
Let us know what you decide to do with them. It would be awesome if you built a Karlson! I myself am about to start a Karlsonette build. I'm also new to this type of enclosure and am enjoying learning about them.

IG
Old 20th October 2010, 09:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I had the good fortune to hear some 15" Stephens Tru-Sonic coaxials in new cabinets two years ago and they were incredible. They designer drove them with some 211, GM-70, and 845 SET monoblocks of his own creation. The room we were in was too small for that size driver and cabinet, but still there was no mistaking that fantastic coaxial/fullrange coherence.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmoebius View Post
I had the good fortune to hear some 15" Stephens Tru-Sonic coaxials in new cabinets two years ago and they were incredible. They designer drove them with some 211, GM-70, and 845 SET monoblocks of his own creation. The room we were in was too small for that size driver and cabinet, but still there was no mistaking that fantastic coaxial/fullrange coherence.
They will fill a room, that's for certain.
Effortless.
They have impressed me greatly, even with my less than optimum room (it stinks).
Bass is wonderful.

Marshall

Hide this!Advertise here!