Onken for Fostex FE166En

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey GM.

Why? Driven with a high output impedance or adding some series resistance allows a F3 = Fs Onken without exceeding the vent length limit and you still have whatever 'sweetness' this driver may have over another.

Not such a bad idea if efficiency isn't an issue. I added 6 ohms of series R, but system eff. is down a little over 4dB. I also used n=5.7, just to make things easier.

jeff

Use a valve amp of sufficiently high output impedance (or add series resistance to one of lower output impedance), and you should be able to get more extension than that.

While it might seem a crude measure, re-using cabinets for the FE**7 series with a FE**6 driver and a resistor seems like something to try.

Alternatively, Variable Amplifier Impedance - that'd keep the driver sensitivity otherwise lost by the resistor.

Chris

hopefully 166EN will like this K6.5 (middle enclosure) - JL has it loaded with 167 and is awaiting 166 - the 8" enclosure to the left is supposed to sound very good with FE206EN and will keep up with the big K (and beat it for coherence and vocals, etc) IIRC external bulk for the 6.5" K-coupler is ~1.7 cubic feet
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

GregB. designed the "SK6.5"
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
the little coupler in the middle with 167 might do F10 at 50-55Hz with 166EN - my buddy is going to tweak its vent first - that's a FE206EN in the left Karlson type-coupler

Green = Z with 167, Blue = 166

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.