which 5" for use in a K-coupler? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2010, 04:39 PM   #1
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default which 5" for use in a K-coupler?

am trying to decide today upon a good, clear sounding ~5" driver - -FF125K is one candidate. I like the cheap Dayton and MCM "monitor" speakers but they lack resolution. The driver needs to be able to play reasonably loud for my larger room (~28x18x8)
Old 15th October 2010, 05:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I immediately thought of the cheap dayton. I have one on order and should get it next week... really, does it lack resolution? Tell me how it sounds to you please. Isn't the 125 discontinued?
Old 15th October 2010, 05:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

it lacks a bit on the top compared to W8-1772 and FE206EN - but that may be ok with a K5 to help balance things. The Dayton and MCM are tough little drivers and won't give up the ghost soon.

Here's a Dayton (or MCM) - I forgot which in a K5 size scrap coupler. For fun I'll have a friend build some K5 with FF125K

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjM2ggyaAfs

K-forum member Alfredo built a K5 tuned with aluminum ducts
http://gainclone.com/Karlson/index.php?topic=1021.0

Last edited by freddi; 15th October 2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 15th October 2010, 06:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Got mine 15 minutes ago and slapped them into .25cf cardboard boxes... at first listen they seem to be muted on top. Glad we hear the same thing. They're playing away (jack johnson strumming) and have a full strong midrange sound. tick tick tick like a paper tweeter in the treble. Probably need a tweeter on top but not sure yet. They have a 'full range' sound for sure. As i listen my ears are adjusting and they are certainly pleasant enough. Detailed and natural mids... no bass in these boxes lol and treble trying to be there but not quite. They ARE directional. aim them at you and they sound different than off axis. They sound dynamic and have potential. i will get them into decent wooden boxes soon and experiment with piezos... probably a .47uf is all, maybe .33uf. Build quality is great! They look better in person than in the photos... not photogenic at all but heavy and chunky when they're in your hands. I really like the pro sound drivers i've played with (these are like mini Alpha 15s).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dayton5inch.jpg (22.2 KB, 80 views)
Old 15th October 2010, 07:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I wonder if FF125K would sound shy on top- like its 12-15K region?? - if so maybe FE126EN would be the better choice for a baby Karlson
Old 15th October 2010, 07:37 PM   #6
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Mark Audio Alpair 7 or CHR70?

Hide this!Advertise here!