which 5" for use in a K-coupler?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
am trying to decide today upon a good, clear sounding ~5" driver - -FF125K is one candidate. I like the cheap Dayton and MCM "monitor" speakers but they lack resolution. The driver needs to be able to play reasonably loud for my larger room (~28x18x8)

it lacks a bit on the top compared to W8-1772 and FE206EN - but that may be ok with a K5 to help balance things. The Dayton and MCM are tough little drivers and won't give up the ghost soon.

Here's a Dayton (or MCM) - I forgot which in a K5 size scrap coupler. For fun I'll have a friend build some K5 with FF125K

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjM2ggyaAfs

K-forum member Alfredo built a K5 tuned with aluminum ducts
http://gainclone.com/Karlson/index.php?topic=1021.0

Last edited:
Got mine 15 minutes ago and slapped them into .25cf cardboard boxes... at first listen they seem to be muted on top. Glad we hear the same thing. They're playing away (jack johnson strumming) and have a full strong midrange sound. tick tick tick like a paper tweeter in the treble. Probably need a tweeter on top but not sure yet. They have a 'full range' sound for sure. As i listen my ears are adjusting and they are certainly pleasant enough. Detailed and natural mids... no bass in these boxes lol and treble trying to be there but not quite. They ARE directional. aim them at you and they sound different than off axis. They sound dynamic and have potential. i will get them into decent wooden boxes soon and experiment with piezos... probably a .47uf is all, maybe .33uf. Build quality is great! They look better in person than in the photos... not photogenic at all but heavy and chunky when they're in your hands. I really like the pro sound drivers i've played with (these are like mini Alpha 15s).

Attachments

• Dayton5inch.jpg
    Dayton5inch.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 104
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.