MARTELLO enclosure for FR88EX - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2010, 05:00 AM   #1
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default MARTELLO enclosure for FR88EX

I have a pair of drivers and want to make a pair of reflex desktop speakers which don't have visible ports. This is a kind of follow on from here:

FR88Ex based micro-Onken ?

I'm aware that I'm pushing my luck a bit with a narrow box and the alignment is not quite what I wanted, the ports are a tad long, but it's close.

Oh yes, Martello is a kind of small and simple castle and I remember somewhere there being downward ported speakers that are known as castles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Martello_v0.10X.jpg (253.2 KB, 5461 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 9th October 2010, 04:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

And the alternative front slot port (based on Dave's alignment):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Martello_v0.20B.jpg (234.8 KB, 5158 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 9th October 2010, 08:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, let's give it a go shall we
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0436.jpg (66.7 KB, 4605 views)
Old 12th October 2010, 12:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

drivers breaking in - it's a bit rough, it's not sealed properly, no stuffing or lining, box needs sanding down etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0451X.jpg (81.7 KB, 4435 views)
Old 12th October 2010, 01:55 AM   #5
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
drivers breaking in - it's a bit rough, it's not sealed properly, no stuffing or lining, box needs sanding down etc.
Looking good. I'm interested in your listening impressions on this driver after you have the box tuned.
Old 21st October 2010, 12:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well I've not had time to make much progress but they've had a few more hours to break in. The boxes are still not lined/stuffed.

However, I can say that the sound seems to have stopped changing, so the break-in is showing very good progress.

Even in this state I find the sound very good. They won't rattle any windows of course, the bass just doesn't go deep or with much conviction but then for the size they do well. No BSC has been employed.

Compared with my Moon Onken speakers based on the now obsolete fostex FE127e they sound more neutral. I put this down to the 7kHz peakiness of the Fostex whereas the Fountek has no obvious warts so far. They are not as sensitive as the Fostex drivers, my tube amp is on 'full speed' and it's still not really enough (but it's a flea powered amp so don't let this worry you yet).

Listening is mostly gentle music, no hard rock. Piano sounds good.

So far so good !

Last edited by Bigun; 21st October 2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 21st October 2010, 06:11 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Well I've not had time to make much progress but they've had a few more hours to break in. The boxes are still not lined/stuffed.

However, I can say that the sound seems to have stopped changing, so the break-in is showing very good progress.

Even in this state I find the sound very good. They won't rattle any windows of course, the bass just doesn't go deep or with much conviction but then for the size they do well. No BSC has been employed.

Compared with my Moon Onken speakers based on the now obsolete fostex FE127e they sound more neutral. I put this down to the 7kHz peakiness of the Fostex whereas the Fountek has no obvious warts so far. They are not as sensitive as the Fostex drivers, my tube amp is on 'full speed' and it's still not really enough (but it's a flea powered amp so don't let this worry you yet).

Listening is mostly gentle music, no hard rock. Piano sounds good.

So far so good !

it's certainly been my experience that when well executed, this design architecture creates a small enclosure that is neutral enough to showcase the particular driver's nature - so you may well hear more differences than in other enclosures.

congrats - nice project
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:23 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris,

Well I am surprised by how good I find the sound of these little Fountek's. I thought they looked great on paper, but they actually sound good too, given their size. I have a line on some felt so I hope to get the enclosures sorted out in the next week and then I can give them a proper listen.
Old 27th October 2010, 02:20 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

some progress again.

I've fitted the holey brace and glued a few triangular wooden pieces in place to strengthen the corners and stiffen the long dimensions.

Have started sticking pieces of black felt over the inside surfaces - a bit of a messy job but it'll work just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0466.JPG (30.9 KB, 4187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0467.JPG (51.3 KB, 1719 views)
Old 27th October 2010, 11:53 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The felt looks very thin, so it might have no effect.... Should be 1/2" at least.

Joe

Hide this!Advertise here!