MARTELLO enclosure for FR88EX - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2011, 08:29 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

Al, if you need felt for critical locations, LMK the sizes and I should be able hook you up. I'll email you the details of this stuff.
Old 17th February 2011, 08:58 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

The inductor is size of a 3W resistor?? Seems you have an MKP "overkill" cap ( not bad, btw) , plus a cheapo chinese crap inductor, ...

NONO
Old 17th February 2011, 09:25 PM   #83
pabbi1 is offline pabbi1  United States
diyAudio Member

Brian, I actully spent $1.50 at JoAnn for the felt, so I'm good there... and, busted on the inductors, since it was from my local surplus guy. Recommendations on GOOD inductors, since I didn't see any on eBay... this is just an area out of my league.

So, felt and poly-fil, felt without poly-fil, poly-fil without felt?
Old 17th February 2011, 09:54 PM   #84
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabbi1 View Post
If I use poly-fil, would I still need felt, or, would I only need felt in certain places?
I believe the felt is a good idea. I've built speakers before with mostly poly-fil and this time I used only felt and I thought the only felt was much better at controlling reflections off the back wall of the cabinet.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 17th February 2011, 10:35 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

OK, pics... the cocobolo isn't nearly as dark in person. And, my filter parts...

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 18th February 2011, 03:57 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Finished - would still like input on poly-fil:

Old 18th February 2011, 04:06 AM   #87
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabbi1 View Post
Finished - would still like input on poly-fil:
It is essentially a BR. You line the walls of a BR you do not volume fill it.

dave
Old 21st February 2011, 06:13 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

With about 20 hours on them, the imaginig is pretty good (placement is critical), but they are still just a bit 'honky' on hard rock, really sweet on Alison Krause, and all over the mid range (guitar, piano, banjo, vocals). Mayhaps a bit tinny on top. Some of this may be the tube amp, or the cheap DVD source (may have to try this with the Ayon CD-1), but I'm pretty sure the speakers need some adjustment.

Afraid the felt is insufficient - can some Poly-fil help? Will the filter help? Really close, but tweaking is what DIY is all about.
Old 21st February 2011, 07:17 PM   #89
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hard rock and 2" drivers are a challenge, I have not found them large enough for this kind of music. The top end has been good in my case, based on use of SET with Magnum Dynalab FM tuner and a good channel. Have had good results with Dual turntable although cartridge was a bit too rolled-off on the top end compared with the tuner for my taste. Have had mixed results with CD player, seems the usual problem that most recordings are poor unless I am very selective.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 21st February 2011, 08:44 PM   #90
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Hard rock and 2" drivers are a challenge, I have not found them large enough for this kind of music.
The Twin pair in my uFonken^2 don't do so bad.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!